Nigerian-born Adewale Adeyemo
U.S. President-elect, Joe Biden is expected to name a Nigerian-born lawyer, Adewale Adeyemo, as his Deputy Secretary of Treasury.
Media reports quoted unnamed sources close to the Biden transition team as saying Adeyemo would serve under Janet Yellen, who would be nominated to lead the Treasury Department.
Nicknamed Wally, the 39-year-old has a Bachelor of Arts from the University of California and Juris Doctor from Yale Law School.
He served as the first President of the Obama Foundation in 2019, according to Wikipedia.
Under the Obama administration, Adeyemo served as Deputy National Security Adviser for International Economics from 2015 to 2016 and Deputy Director of the National Economic Council.
Wally is one of three people of colour to be appointed to lead Biden’s economic team after his first round of appointments was criticised for lack of diversity.
Cecilia Rouse, an African American economist at Princeton University, is set to be named as Head of the Council of Economic Advisers.
An Indian-American, Neera Tanden, a former Senior Policy Adviser to both Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaigns, will be appointed as Director of the Office of Management and Budget.
The team will inherit a U.S. economy that has been struggling as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- NiMet predicts cloudy, sunny weather conditions for three days
- Buhari hails Army over professionalism, bravery
- Police graduates 467 constables in Kwara
- Estate agent arraigned in court over alleged N3.4m fraud
- Photo News: Defence Minister, Salihi Magashi visits Kuje prison
- KUJE ATTACK: MINISTER OF DEFENCE INSPECTS MEDIUM SECURITY CUSTODIAL CENTRE
- 2022 Ilorin Grand Durbar: Kwara govt expresses more supports
- Bandits, vigilantes clash kill 12 persons in Plateau
- FG set to recruit 1million Nigerians for 2023 census exercise
- Police re-arrest jailbreaker in Ondo State