The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Lagos State charpter, has advised Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, the Chairman, Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to ensure more fairness as he commences second term in office on Monday.
The state PDP Publicity Secretary, Taofik Gani, gave the advice in an interview with ROYAL NEWS on Monday in Lagos.
He said that the INEC boss on his reappointment should read the riot act to the INEC officials to elevate fairness in elections.
“Indeed, the INEC Chairman should show more fairness and be able to speak the truth to his “employer”. The INEC chairman should prove his critics wrong by delivering credible elections all over the country.
“Prof. Yakubu must show competence by not limiting duty to Election Day alone. He must read the riot act to all staff of the commission and himself to stay very credible and contented.
“All he needs is stern body language and all will be proper. The late Dora Akunyile single-handedly revolutionised service delivery at NAFDAC, today she remains a heroine,’’ Gani said.
The PDP spokesman urged the INEC chairman to reform and reinvigorates the electoral process by also ensuring credible continuous voter registration, education and elections.
“Importantly, INEC must regularise continuous voter registration, look into adopting electronic voting.
“We can start from all possible constituencies. Even in the U.S., some areas still did manual voting. These two areas should start now,” he added.
ROYAL NEWS reports that after five years tenure, the INEC Chairman on Monday commenced a fresh term.
Yakubu’s reappointment by President Muhammadu Buhari, was announced on Oct. 27, in a letter to the Senate for confirmation, making him the first INEC chairman to have his tenure extended by another five years.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Ijara-Isin monarch hails TIC Chairman on birthday occasion
- Nigeria in Calamitous situation over oil theft, vandalism, others — NNPCL
- Minister, others reject Senate’s bill on proposed innovation agency
- Senate urges FG to protect shorelines at Bayelsa communities
- Senate suspends report on vacation of citizen’s watchlist by DSS
- Senate directs NLNG to pay host communities N18.4bn compensation
- Buhari to presents 2023 budget to NASS Oct. 7
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities
- Scandal rocks CCB as commissioners accuse chairman of corruption