Karim Benzema fires in two goals against Villareal to claim the LaLiga title for Real Madrid with one more game to spare.
It was the loss suffered by Barcelona by bottom half team Osasuna at Camp Nou that sealed the league title for the Zidane’s side making them the Spanish league champions for the 34th time in the league history leaving Barcelona without a Spanish trophy this season with their only title hope being the UEFA Champions league in which they have been drawn against Napoli in the next round of the competition.
Real Madrid heads to their next game with a seven point lead over their league rivals Barcelona who has won the league title 26 times.
Zinedine Zidane is arguably the only manager currently managing a team where he has won the league title and UEFA Champions league as a player and also as a Manager. He said after being crowned champions of Spain,
“Today is one of the best days for me as a professional and after everything that happened with the three-month break it’s fantastic what we’ve achieved.
“It’s strange for everyone. We can’t control the situation. We would have loved to have been with the supporters and gone to the Cibeles Fountain and hopefully that can happen further down the line, but for the question of health it can’t happen.
“I’m sure the Real Madrid supporters are celebrating happily at home seeing their team win the league again.”
The team captain Sergio Ramos also said
“Well it’s a prize for all the hard work. The aim to win the games after lockdown, this is the reward.
“We’ve got one more game to go. To win 10 games on the bounce deserves a lot of credit. It’s been a strange season but our objective was very clear once the league restarted, we wanted to win every game.
“We didn’t want to depend on others and we had no doubts on the pitch. It’s difficult to win every game. Every match is difficult but this is the reward for all of our hard work. 34 leagues and I’m very happy with my fifth title.”
- Opinion: Peter Obi and the Obidient’s futile effort faking Sultan’s endorsement
- New Naira Notes: Police begins patrol of banks in Kwara
- Naira redesign: Customers urge CBN to sanction banks not paying N20,000 over the counter
- Fuel scarcity: IPMAN laments inability to source products
- Gov. Akeredolu swears in new chief judge, 4 high court judges
- Two suspects arrested for possessing, selling counterfeit N1000 notes
- Nigerian Actress enters trouble for spraying, stepping on new naira notes
- TINUBU’S CAMPAIGN SHUTS DOWN EKITI, SAYS NOTHING CAN STOP APC’S VICTORY
- 2023: Muslim Media Watch Urges Security Agencies To Fine-Tune Strategies
- IGP orders arrest, prosecution of sellers of new naira note