Governor Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos state on Thursday, November 10, said the daily consumption of food items in the state is worth over N3 billion daily.
He added that investors willing to do business in the agriculture sector in the state can be rest assured of a ready market and returns on investment.
The governor, who spoke at the maiden edition of the Lagos Food Security and Exhibition Summit with the theme: ‘Actualizing Sustainable Food Security in Lagos State: A New, Comprehensive Agenda’, said his administration remains committed in its efforts towards maximising its comparative advantage in the sector to achieve food security.
He said Nigeria had no business resorting to importation to feed its citizens, adding that there was no alternative to achieving food security other than tilling the land and embrace best practices that will improve efficiency in the agricultural value chain.
“Our core policy thrust towards achieving food security is to maximize the comparative advantage of the State in agriculture and establish partnerships with other States of the Federation with comparative advantage in specific areas,” the governor said.
Governor Ambode said his administration has sealed a landmark partnership with Kebbi state government for the development of agricultural commodities such as rice, wheat, groundnut, onion, maize and beef value chain, expressing optimism that the partnership can result in the supply of 70 per cent of the total national rice consumption.
He said: “We have also acquired agricultural land in other neighbouring States of Ogun and Oyo as well as Abuja. Specifically, 500 hectares of farm land has been acquired for rice cultivation in Eggua, Ogun State, 84.7 hectares at Okinni in Oshogbo for oil palm processing, among others.”
According to the governor, the exhibition was organised to bring together stakeholders in the agricultural sector to proffer solutions to the challenges militating against the achievement of food security.
Facebook Comments Box
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Nigeria in Calamitous situation over oil theft, vandalism, others — NNPCL
- Minister, others reject Senate’s bill on proposed innovation agency
- Senate urges FG to protect shorelines at Bayelsa communities
- Senate suspends report on vacation of citizen’s watchlist by DSS
- Senate directs NLNG to pay host communities N18.4bn compensation
- Buhari to presents 2023 budget to NASS Oct. 7
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities
- Scandal rocks CCB as commissioners accuse chairman of corruption
- Atala Oil Field: NUPRC under fire in Senate over wrongful re-allocation