Governor Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos state on Thursday, November 10, said the daily consumption of food items in the state is worth over N3 billion daily.
He added that investors willing to do business in the agriculture sector in the state can be rest assured of a ready market and returns on investment.
The governor, who spoke at the maiden edition of the Lagos Food Security and Exhibition Summit with the theme: ‘Actualizing Sustainable Food Security in Lagos State: A New, Comprehensive Agenda’, said his administration remains committed in its efforts towards maximising its comparative advantage in the sector to achieve food security.
He said Nigeria had no business resorting to importation to feed its citizens, adding that there was no alternative to achieving food security other than tilling the land and embrace best practices that will improve efficiency in the agricultural value chain.
“Our core policy thrust towards achieving food security is to maximize the comparative advantage of the State in agriculture and establish partnerships with other States of the Federation with comparative advantage in specific areas,” the governor said.
Governor Ambode said his administration has sealed a landmark partnership with Kebbi state government for the development of agricultural commodities such as rice, wheat, groundnut, onion, maize and beef value chain, expressing optimism that the partnership can result in the supply of 70 per cent of the total national rice consumption.
He said: “We have also acquired agricultural land in other neighbouring States of Ogun and Oyo as well as Abuja. Specifically, 500 hectares of farm land has been acquired for rice cultivation in Eggua, Ogun State, 84.7 hectares at Okinni in Oshogbo for oil palm processing, among others.”
According to the governor, the exhibition was organised to bring together stakeholders in the agricultural sector to proffer solutions to the challenges militating against the achievement of food security.
Facebook Comments Box
- (See Pictures) Court sends 20 internet fraudsters to jail in Oyo
- Gbenga Power rejoices with Nigerians on 63rd Independence celebrations
- CJN to inaugurate 23 Federal High Court Judges Oct 4.
- US Court Orders Release of Tinubu’s Academic Records in 48 hrs
- Kwara Proposes N239bn Revised Budget To Assembly
- Gamji Association Tasks Youths To Emulate Virtues Of Founding Fathers
- Fagbemi dissociates FG from N50bn plea bargain with Emefiele
- Nigeria @63: Peaceful co-existence is germane for nat’l growth— Emir Sulu-Gambari
- Nigeria @63: Tinubu approves new minimum wage for FG workers
- (PHOTOS) Three Internet Fraudsters Bag Jail Terms In Benin