Senate laments Wayas’ delayed burial 14 months after death

Date:

Late Joseph Wayas

Senators have frowned at the continued delay in burying the Second Republic Senate President, Dr. Joseph Wayas, whose corpse has remained in the morgue of a London hospital after 14 months of his death.

Wayas, who hailed from Cross River States, died on the November 20, 2021 in a London hospital and his corpse has since then abandoned at the facility’s morgue.

The Senate, through a motion moved by Senator Gershom Bassey (PDP Cross Rivers South), on Tuesday, declared that the delay in the burial of the former number three citizen was embarrassing to the Red Chamber and the federal government.

It consequently called on the federal government to, as a matter of urgency, evacuate the remains of the deceased from the London hospital mortuary for a befitting burial in Nigeria, just as it also called for his immortalization.

Senator Bassey in his lead debate on the motion, informed the Senate that the remains of Wayas has been in mortuary of a London Hospital since November 2021 after his death.

The lawmaker suggested that the Senate should urgently take over the burial plans of the deceased to save the country from further embarrassment .

He said: “It is very worrisome and embarrassing that 14 months after the death of the former Senate President, his remains, still lies in the morgue in UK.

“The Senate needs to as a matter of urgency, intervene by taking over the burial plans of the deceased.”

Contributing, Senators Jibrin Barau (APC Kano North), Aliyu Sabi Abdullahi (APC Niger North), Uche Ekwunife (PDP Anambra Central) and Enyinnaya Abaribe (APGA Abia South) expressed sadness on the development and called on the Senate to liaise with relevant authorities for way out.

In his remarks, the Senate President, Dr. Ahmad Lawan, said the delay on the burial of former Senate President 14 months after death, was very embarrassing to the National Assembly and the Federal Government.

“This is not a good commentary on us as a country. Unfortunately to stop this type of embarrassment , attempt made last year for presiding officers of the National Assembly be given medical supports for life by Nigeria was rejected by us during voting on constitution amendments.

“The embarrassment at hand with the Joseph Wayas remains, calls for reflection and I hope the 10th Assembly will do the needful,” he said.

Facebook Comments Box

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Latest

More like this
Related

Tension in Oyo Over Alleged Bandit Threat

Panic erupted in a community in Oyo State on...

APC Risks Division Amid Aspirants’ Complaints

The All Progressives Congress (APC) is facing growing internal...

Shettima Reveals Plotters Told Tinubu He ‘Charmed’ Campaign Clothes

Vice-President Kashim Shettima has revealed that some individuals allegedly...

APC Governorship Aspirant David Kente Withdraws Hours Before Primary Election

Less than 24 hours before the All Progressives Congress...

Emir of Ilorin hails Oba Esuwoye II on his 16th coronation anniversary

  The Emir of Ilorin and Chairman Kwara State Traditional...

Kano Gov, Kabiru Yusuf blasts Rabiu Kwankwaso, threatens to make revelations if…..

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of ‎Kano State has warned...

Why I’m silence, Fubara reveals as he withdraws from APC primaries

Governor Siminalayi Fubara of Rivers State has withdrawn from...

Togo Eases Travel Rules, Introduces 30-Day Visa-Free Entry

The Togolese government has announced a new visa-free policy...