Before Prince Harry, who stepped back from his royal duties to protect his wife, there was King Edward VIII who abdicated his throne so that he can marry an American socialite.
King Edward VIII is Prince Harry’s great-uncle. He gave up his throne to marry American socialite, Wallis Simpson, when it became apparent he could not marry her and remain on the throne.
Edward was a king for only 326 days, making him the shortest reigning monarch in British history.
His abdication gave room for his younger brother, George VI, who is Prince Harry’s great-grandfather, to become King.
For Meghan Markle’s bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey, she wore a dress that has now been compared to a floral dress Wallis Simpson wore in a photo taken before King Edward abdicated the throne to marry her.
Meghan Markle’s hair was also styled in a modern version of Wallis Simpson, Duchess of Windsor’s hairstyle in the iconic photo.
Wallis Simpson, an American divorcee, and Meghan Markle, an American divorcee too, have regularly been compared to each other as two American divorcees who married into the British Royal family.
Piers Morgan, a critic of Meghan Markle, is now drawing on this comparison to criticize Meghan Markle.
He shared a merged photo of Wallis Simpson and Meghan Markle and wrote: “Might be time to ban our Princes from marrying American women.”
While some of his followers supported him in trolling Meghan, others called him out and told him his obsession with Meghan is becoming embarrassing.
- PHOTO NEWS: Reception in honour A.B. Sulu-Gambari SAN in Abuja
- Adeleke suspends Osun election commission chair, members
- A.B. Sulu-Gambari SAN: Celebrating A Prince In The Silk (PHOTOS)
- HND holders to be employed as assistant lecturers in polytechnics – NBTE
- Naira notes redesign’ll control inflation in Nigeria — Don
- Adeleke directs heads of LGAs to take over from sacked council chairmen
- My son will play for Super Eagles – Oliseh
- Man jailed one year for possessing 101 PVCs in Sokoto
- PVCs, ballot boxes, destroyed after an attack on Ebonyi INEC office
- Gov. Adeleke appoints Chief of Staff, SSG, CPS