The leadership of the Federal House of Representatives on Wednesday commenced investigation into the N165 billion alleged misappropriated prison funds by the Minister of Interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola and the Comptroller General of the Nigeria Correctional Services, Haliru Nababa.
The Speaker, Femi Gbajabiamila, made this known presiding over the plenary on Wednesday, where members resolved that both of them should be probed.
ROYAL NEWS reports that this decision camr barely than 24 hours after Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola blasted presidential aspirant, Bola Tinubu, over political rift in Osun State.
They are being accused of misappropriating about N165 billion funds earmarked for prisons development across the country.
The House resolution came as a result of a motion of urgent public importance moved by Minority Leader of the House, Ndudi Elumelu.
“The House is disturbed that despite this Act and increase in budgetary allocations to the Nigerian Correctional Service to drive its renewed mandate, the tempo, and quality of the service have remained the same if not retrogressing.
“The House is worried that the working conditions of staff and inmates’ welfare have deteriorated notwithstanding the over N165 billion budget allocations to the service in the last two years,” Elumelu said.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide