U-17 AFCON: Nigeria defeats Zambia 1-0
Nigeria’s Golden Eaglets got their 2023 U-17 AFCON off to a perfect start, after a dominant and hard fought 1-0 win against Zambia in Group B in Constantine on Sunday, Completesports.com reports.
Favour Daniel’s goal with less than 20 minutes left secured the win for Nduka Ugbade side.
The Eaglets also missed a penalty very late in the game as substitute Light Eke missed the opportunity.
Up next for the Eaglets is a clash with Morocco on Wednesday, May 3rd.
Just three minutes into the game the Eaglets had a shout for a penalty after Abubakar Abdullahi was fouled inside the box but the referee ignored the call.
In the ninth minute a ferocious shot from Emmanuel Michael narrowly missed the target.
The Eaglets thought they had opened the scoring on 13 minutes but it was ruled out for offside.
Precious Williams had the chance to put the Eaglets ahead in the 39th minute but failed to convert.
With four minutes left in the first half a bullet shot from a Zambian player came off the Eaglets’ cross bar.
On 63 minutes Daniel got a chance but could not find the back of the net.
The breakthrough eventually came for the Eaglets on 77 minutes as Daniel pounced on a loose ball in the area to score.
In the 90th minute the Eaglets had the chance to double their lead but substitute Eke saw his penalty saved by the Zambian keeper.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- Tinubu swears in Akume as SGF
- Why we didn’t embark on strike over subsidy removal– NLC
- No-Man’s Land: Lagos to make laws toprotect indigenes
- Peace Mass Transit says bus fares will not be increased despite fuel price
- Family releases burial arrangements for late AIT/RayPower CEO, Raymond Dokpesi
- Senate rejects controversial Water Resources Bill
- You’ve represented the dynasty excellently, Emir of Ilorin tells Prof. Gambari
- Tinubu gets Senate’s approval to appoint 20 Special Advisers
- EFCC to arraign 20 internet fraudster suspects in Kwara
- NLC, TUC pictures from Aso Rock Villa