Romelu Lukaku and Christian Eriksen were on target as Inter Milan moved into the last eight of the Europa League with a 2-0 win, over Getafe on Wednesday.
The single-match, neutral-venue tie, played at the Veltins-Arena, was rearranged after the scheduled fixtures in March were postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Getafe, who finished eighth in La Liga, started strongly and went close to an opener when Nemanja Maksimovic’s header was superbly saved by Inter keeper Samir Handanovic.
Yet, Inter responded with Argentine striker Lautaro Martinez, twice forcing good saves out of David Soria, before Lukaku opened the scoring.
The Belgian latching on to a long ball, holding off Xabier Etxeita and drilling into the bottom corner.
Getafe responded well after the break with Jaime Mata, seeing a header tipped over by Handanovic before they were given a great chance to get on level terms when the VAR spotted a handball in the box.
Yet, 38-year-old substitute Jorge Molina, put his poorly-struck penalty wide and from then on Inter never looked in danger.
After Lukaku, who has now scored in his last eight Europa League matches, missed a golden chance from close range, Inter made sure of the win through substitute Eriksen.
Moments after being introduced, the former Tottenham Hotspur midfielder, made no mistake as he took full advantage of a poor attempted clearance from Djene Dakonam.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Buhari to presents 2023 budget to NASS Oct. 7
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities
- Scandal rocks CCB as commissioners accuse chairman of corruption
- Atala Oil Field: NUPRC under fire in Senate over wrongful re-allocation
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport