Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki, has described the late Senator Joseph Waku, a former lawmaker, who represented Benue North West Constituency at the National Assembly, as a fearless and colourful politician who spent the most productive period of his life in the service of God, country and humanity.
Saraki, in a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Alhaji Yusuph Olaniyonu, expressed deep sadness over the demise of the deceased.
“Senator Waku was a democrat and social activist. He cared so much about his people. He spoke truth to power not minding political correctness. He worked assiduously for the upliftment of his state in particular and Nigeria in general.
“His leadership role in the Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) marked him out as a consummate politician with the welfare of his country at heart.
“As a Senator, he contributed immensely to the nation’s legislative development. His incisive interventions bear testimony to his rich experience, intellectual depth and urbane personality.
“He was a voice to the voiceless, we shall miss him dearly”, the senate president stated.
Saraki also commiserated with the immediate family of the deceased and the Government and people of Benue State over the sad and irreparable loss.
He prayed God to grant the soul of Senator Waku eternal peace and his loved ones the fortitude to bear the loss.
The late Senator Waku, who died on Sunday after a brief illness at the age of 72 years, served at the National Assembly in 1999, under the platform of the People’s Democratic Party, PDP.
He served as the chairman, Senate Committee on Water Resources and member of Committees on Senate Services, Works and Housing, Health, Establishment, and Privatization respectively during his stay in the National Assembly.
- Lawan, Gbajabiamila sued over failure to cut N228.1bn NASS budget
- Kaduna State Internal Revenue Service insists on e-payment in hospitals
- Buhari invested more in vulnerable women, youth– Minister
- Buhari’s appointees sabotaging his administration– APC Stakeholders
- INEC won’t disappoint Nigerians in 2023 General Election– REC
- NYSC DG warns corps members against unauthorised trips
- 2023 election: Tinubu’s presidential bid is a divine project – Kekemeke
- 2023 Election: Clergy advises Nigerians to protect their votes
- Civil Society Organisations in Borno empathise with Nigerians over cash crunch
- Opinion: Peter Obi and the Obidient’s futile effort faking Sultan’s endorsement