About 100 people said to be victims of kidnappers who terrorised communities around Kogi-Nasarawa boundary and travellers who passed through that area for over eight years, have been rescued by troops.
The kidnap victims who are mostly women and children were rescued from Darusalam by troops of the 177 battalion and the army records, Lokoja.
According to Mohammed Onogwu, the chief press secretary to Governor Yahaya Bello, the camp located at Ittu is home to about 2,000 kidnappers and some Boko Haram members.
The statement read;
“Between last Saturday and Wednesday, about 100 persons, mostly women and children, were rescued and taken to Lafia, while yesterday at Achara in Tawari Ward of Kogi LGA, about 180 family members of Darusalam were captured.
“One of the suspects was shot dead while attempting to escape during the military clearing operations.
“The logistics support of the Kogi state governor, Yahaya Bello, to the Nigerian Army helped in no small measure in the success recorded by men of the Nigerian Army in this latest operation.
“Recall that the governor of Kogi state and chairman, security committee, Northern Governors Forum, during Eid-kabir celebrations told journalists in Okene that in days ahead, he will lead security operatives into the forest to unleash terror on criminals operating within the state.”
- American journalist collapses, dies at Qatar World Cup
- ICPC: D’banj breaks silence after release
- Tinubu better than Peter Obi, but he’s a drug lord– Reno
- Hypertension, Diabetes, Cancers, Others Responsible for 22% of Premature Deaths—WHO
- Breaking…… Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Croatia knocks out ‘confident’ Brazil from Qatar 2022 Fifa World Cup
- Cashless Policy: CBN meets Senate panel on cash withdrawal limit
- Labour Party sacks publicity secretary, Ogun chapter excos
- NUJ recognises Osoba, Dokpesi, others as icons in media industry
- Newly redesigned Naira now in banks, ready for issuance – Emefiele