By Oni Qoyyum
A Ghanaian security man, Santana Obend, 49, was on Monday charged before an Ikeja High Court with defiling his neighbour’s 14-year-old daughter.
Obend, who resides at No. 9, Ajegunle Close, Isheri, Lagos
State, is facing a charge of defilement.
He, however, denied the charge.
According to the State Prosecutor, Mr T.M. Ashafa, Obend, who
is partially blind, committed the offence at about 9 a.m., on
Aug. 7, 2015 at his residence.
“Obend who is a neighbour to the complainant (name withheld)
lured her into his apartment where he had forceful sexual
intercourse with her.
“He allegedly kept her in his room against her will for two days
until she was discovered there by her family,” he said.
Obend had to be assisted before he could enter into the dock due to his disability.
Justice Oluwatoyin Ipaye on noticing his disability made
inquiries about his state of health.
According to his defence counsel, Mr Emmanuel Umsu, his
health deteriorated after he was remanded at the Ikoyi Prisons
by a magistrates’ court for the alleged offence.
“My Lord, my client had excellent sight before he was
remanded in prison by the magistrates’ court.
“After his remand, his eyesight deteriorated badly,” he said.
Umsu also told the court that there was an intention from the
complainant to drop the case against the defendant.
“A member of a non-governmental organisation (NGO) told me
that the complainant wanted to drop the case against the
defendant,” he said.
But an official from the Ikoyi Prisons, however, disputed Umsu’s
He said that the accused had always been partially sighted.
Ipaye told the defence counsel that the case was now between
the state and the accused.
“The victim is no longer the complainant; rather the state is
now the complainant.
“The case is adjourned to April 25 and 26 for trial,” the judge
Facebook Comments Box
- UNILORIN VC seeks upgrade of molecular lab to public health lab
- Naira, Fuel, scarcity take shine off 44th Kaduna International Trade Fair
- I paid ₦1,000 for litre– Oshiomhole laments fuel scarcity, price
- Tems wins Grammy award
- Kwara South Group Drums Support For ADC Reps candidate, Gbenga Power
- Kwara Governor Mourns As Ex-Women Affairs Commissioner Dies In Auto-Crash
- Naira Redesign: How CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele deceived Buhari— Oshiomhole
- Emir of Ilorin salutes Gov. Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq at 63
- Entrepreneurs count losses over scarcity of new Naira notes
- Buhari has indeed subdued Boko Haram — Buratai