After stealing cigarettes, milk, others, 4 thieves get 7yrs jailterm in Ekiti
Four men have been found guilty for breaking into a shop belonging to one Mrs Iyabo Ige around 2am and 5am on August 26, 2017 at Enu Odi, Odo-Ado in Ado-Ekiti and carting away packs of noodles, cigarettes, milk and packs of battery.
The suspects; Owoeye Ojo, Agbetuyi Taiwo, Adeniyi Busayo and Lasisi Friday were all sentenced to seven years jailterm each by the Ekiti State High Court sitting in Ado Ekiti without option of fine.
Justice Bamidele Omotosho in his judgment on Thursday, found them guilty of the offence of burglary and stealing based on their confessional statement and witness accounts during the trial.
Although, their lawyer, Mr Yinka Opaleye and Adekunle Ojo, who called only one witness, pleaded for leniency, praying the court to tamper justice with mercy.
The judge, however, “did not find them guilty of conspiracy which they were also charged with.”
Earlier, the Prosecution Counsel, Mr Wale Fapohunda, who is the state Commissioner for Justice, said the convicts broke into a shop and carted away the items.
Fapohunda said that the offences contravened Sections 413 and 516 of the Criminal Code, Laws of Ekiti, 2012.
He called three witnesses and tendered exhibits including pictures, statements of the convicts and the stolen items.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- Family releases burial arrangements for late AIT/RayPower CEO, Raymond Dokpesi
- Senate rejects controversial Water Resources Bill
- You’ve represented the dynasty excellently, Emir of Ilorin tells Prof. Gambari
- Tinubu gets Senate’s approval to appoint 20 Special Advisers
- EFCC to arraign 20 internet fraudster suspects in Kwara
- NLC, TUC pictures from Aso Rock Villa
- Iyabo Ojo slammed with ₦18M tax by Lagos Govt, she reacts
- Oluremi Tinubu steps into First Lady’s office
- Increase workers minimum wage to N200,000 – TUC tells FG
- Fuel subsidy: Court stops NLC, TUC, others from embarking on strike