Alex Otti reacts to nullification of his candidature by court
Abia Governor -elect, Dr Alex Otti, has urged Abians not to panic over his purported sack by a Federal High Court in Kano.
Recall it was reported earlier that Otti’s candidature and other Labour party members in Abia and Kano states were nullified on grounds of not being in compliance with the provisions of the 2022 electoral act. The judge ruled that the failure of the Labour Party to submit its membership register to the INEC within 30 days before their primaries renders the process null and void.
Reacting to the ruling, Otti stated that arrangements for his swearing- in on May 29 is on full gear as planned. He told Vanguard that the antics of the enemies of democracy cannot truncate the will of Abians.
Labour Party Chairman in Abia State, Hon. Ceekay Igara, said the court’s “pronouncement is laughable.” He said the decision of the court would have no significance in the coming inauguration of the Governor-elect.
Igara noted that only the election tribunal is bequeathed the power to sack a democratically elected person. He said;
“That court pronouncement is laughable. Everybody should go about their normal activities. It is only the tribunal that can remove Alex Otti. It is not just a court that will remove someone who was duly elected. Infact I am going to gear up activities for the inauguration”.
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- Senate amends ICPC Act, slams 2yr imprisonment on false petitioners
- FG roads: NASS approves Buhari’s request of N16.7bn refund to Borno
- Nnamdi Kanu’s Lawyer To Tinubu: Don’t inherit Buhari’s hostility
- Adegoke’s Murder: Court sentences Adedoyin to death
- Gov Otti reveals plan to recruit 5,000 teachers in Abia
- 10th NASS: Igbo Senate Presidency still alive, says Kalu
- Court sentences Rahmon Adedoyin, 3 others to death
- DSS’ Siege on Our Lagos Office Shocking – EFCC
- Fuel scarcity: KWSG to revoke CoO of erring filling stations
- Gov Abba Yusuf issues executive order to probe Ganduje