Rochas Okorocha, Imo West Senator has said injustice and poverty are responsible for insecurity in Nigeria.
Okorocha said if the government failed to address poverty and injustice in Nigeria, no amount of ammunition can win a war against insecurity.
The former governor of Imo State spoke at the 2021 NBA -Spidel annual conference tagged: “The Role of Public Interest in Governance in Nigeria,” yesterday.
He also assured of Nigeria’s unity despite agitation for secession.
Okorocha said: “Let us not go out of here with the belief that Nigeria is finished. Nigeria is a great country and it can’t finish. New Nigeria will soon come.
“There is injustice and poverty in Nigeria. There is a cold relationship between poverty and insecurity. As long as these two evils of mankind have not been addressed, you might import all the equipment in this world to fight insurgency and banditry, it won’t yield any result.
“Our problem is injustice and poverty. I heard Governors Bala Muhammad and Rotimi Akeredolu speaking on ranching. I see it as injustice when a little boy travels about 1000 and 2000 kilometers as a herder on foot. For me, the injustice done to the boy is more than all this discussion put together.”
Lately, Nigeria has been confronted with heightened insecurity, with banditry, kidnapping and terrorism on the rise.
- Emir of Ilorin condoles former AMCON chairman, Kola Belgore over wife’s death
- NiMet signs MoU with Sahel Consulting on agricultural improvement
- Buhari responsible for rot in Nigeria– Igboho
- NLC protest action may bring anarchy– TUC
- Former Kwara NUJ secretary, Timothy Nathaniel for burial Feb. 26-27
- Account for toll gate, parking lots fees since 2015, Court orders FAAN
- Adamawa hunters collaborate with Army to fight criminalities
- CSOs urge NASS to probe FG over $3.4billion COVID-19 loan, subsidy savings, others
- ARRANT NONSENSE: MURIC REPLIES MAN WHO SAID REMI TINUBU SHOULD BE KILLED
- JUST IN…. Former NBA national president, emerges as LP guber candidate in Edo