Court sentences 3 to a year imprisonment each for Internet fraud
A High Court sitting in Ilorin on Wednesday sentenced three Internet fraudsters to a year each for fraud.
The convicts, who were arraigned on June 24, were Akeem Mustapha, Abolarin Sunday and Murtala Abdulrasheed were sentenced by Justice Mahmud Abdulgafar after plea bargain agreement with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
At the resumed hearing on Wednesday, the Prosecutor, Andrew Akoja told the court that the defendants had entered into a plea bargain agreement with the commission.
ROYAL NEWS reports that Counsel to the defendants, S.O Babakebe, however, confirmed the plea bargain agreement.
Abdulgafar, while sentencing the convicts, said: “In view of the plea bargain agreement dated June 25, the defendants are hereby sentenced to a year imprisonment.
“The sentence is effective from February 12, when they were arrested, and all the items recovered from them are hereby forfeited to the Federal Government.”.
They were tried for fraud by posing as women on the Internet with the intent to defraud unsuspecting Internet users a representation the defendants knew was false.
The prosecutor said the offense contravened Section 95 of the penal code law and punishable under section 324 of the same law.
Facebook Comments Box
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- (PHOTOS)EFCC arrests 28 suspected Yahoo Yahoo boys in Kwara
- Aggrieved parties file 25 petitions before Lagos election tribunal
- Referee suspended for using fan’s phone to review a goal
- Ramadan: Buhari sends best wishes to Muslim faithful
- NLC declares nationwide strike from Wednesday next week
- President-Elect Tinubu jets out to Europe
- JUST IN…..Emir of Ilorin confirms commencement of Ramadan fasting tomorrow
- I didn’t interfere, polls reflected Nigerians’ choices – Buhari
- Remove fuel subsidy before you go — U.S to Buhari
- Kwara: EFCC secures conviction of 37yr-old driver over illegal minning