The NCDC stated this via its verified website on Tuesday morning, raising the nation’s total infections, since the index case in 2020, to 195,890.
It attributed the surge to the highly transmissible Delta variant and low vaccination rates across the country.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the new infections indicate a decrease from the 459 cases, reported on Sunday.
It added that the eight additional COVID-19 related deaths reported on Monday increased the country’s fatality figure to 2,556.
The NCDC said that the number of active coronavirus infections had again risen to 8,429.
The Public Health agency did not indicate if majority of the known active cases were from the contagious Delta variant.
The agency, however stated that over 2,884,034 million samples of the virus out of the roughly 200 million population were tested.
It stated that the new cases were reported in 17 states and the FCT.
The NCDC noted that Lagos state recorded the highest infections with (138), while Rivers followed with (44), and the FCT (26).
Amongst others were; Ekiti (23), Oyo (22), Akwa Ibom (18), Adamawa (17), Delta (17), Anambra (15), Edo (14), Ogun (13), Bayelsa (8), Niger (7), Kwara (6), Gombe (5), Plateau (4), Kaduna and Kano (1) respectively.
The NCDC said that the country had now successfully treated 184,882, COVID-19 cases following the discharge of 353 additional people on Sunday.
The Public Health Agency added that the multi-sectoral national emergency operations centre (EOC), activated at Level 2, continued to coordinate the national response activities.
Meanwhile, the agency announced that its toll free number has been changed.
“Dial 6232 for FREE
“Reach out to our 24/7 connect centre for verified information on Lassafever, Cholera, Meningitis, COVID19, YellowFever and other infectious diseases.
“Please lets endeavor to used the toll free number responsibly as we continue to take responsibility,” it urged.
- Election: Close down institutions, allow students vote– Reps to FG
- ICPC re-arrests former JAMB registrar Dibu Ojerinde
- Kwara Assembly approves extension of Acting Auditor-General’s tenure
- Ex-JAMB registrar opened fictitious accounts to conceal his identity– Witness
- No attempt to create conflict between Tinubu, Buhari will succeed – APC
- Lubcon bags West Africa’s best lubricant of year
- NYSC gets 8 new directors, promotes 1,123 others
- Senate confirms ex-I-G Arase as Chairman, Police Service Commission
- Bank customers decry scarcity of new Naira notes at ATMs, POS
- Senate suspends plenary till Feb. 28