EFCC boss, Abdulrasheed Bawa expresses shock as Atiku, Tinubu, others knock horns today
As the 2023 general elections kick start today (Saturday) 25th February 2023, Nigerians will go to poll to decide who to emerge as the nation’s next president as well as members of the 10th national assembly.
The contest is between candidates of major political parties; Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu of the All Progressives Congress, (APC), Atiku Abubakar of the Peoples Democratic Party, (PDP), Peter Obi of Labour Party (LP) and Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso of the New Nigerian Peoples Party, (NNPP).
However, the Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crime Commission, Abdul-Rasheed Bawa on Friday expressed shock when the agency arrested someone with the sum of N30million of newly redesigned naira currency.
His expression was in response to the agency’s preparedness of trying to ensure that a free and credible election holds without vote buying, ROYAL NEWS reports.
He said: “Just yesterday, February 24, the agency arrested someone with a sum of N30 million of the new naira notes. The big question was where he got such an amount of money from in this trying time?
“You are expected to get a maximum amount of N100,000 from the ATM and N20,000 over the counter.”
“Available intelligence have revealed that a lot of politicians because of the issue of Naira scarcity have resorted to buying items like foodstuffs and fabrics to be distributed among voters. The thing is that we are yet to make any arrests regarding the issue. The naira scarcity has helped in the sense that some politicians have revealed that they don’t have cash that will enable them to buy voters and do other election preparations.
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- ICPC arraigns ex-JAMB’s Ojerinde, 4 children over alleged fraud
- World Athletics bans transgender women from women’s competition
- I will run Peter Obi’s model of governance in Abia State – Alex Otti
- No clandestine meeting between Oriwoola, Tinubu– Onanuga
- I won election before without Peter Obi – Alex Otti
- IESA welcomes Alfanla’s emergence as UNILORIN’s Registrar-designate
- My suspension by Ayu last kick of a dead horse — Fayose
- 10th NASS: Experience, competence should be criteria for leadership positions —-Bamidele
- Nigeria Air to Take-off Before End of Buhari’s Administration—-Sirika
- NSIB Sets To Release Report Soon–– DG