The Energy Consumer Rights and Responsibilities Initiative (ECRRI) denounced on Friday that the National Assembly did not criminalize the issuance of estimated bills by Electricity Distribution Companies (DisCos) to customers.
ECRRI National President Mr. Surai Fadairo told the Nigerian News Agency in Lagos that the move would have speeded up the closing of the metering gap in the country.
The bill would oblige DisCos to provide prepaid meters within a specified period.
Fadairo said: This bill would have put an end to what Nigerians face today at the hands of DisCos, but unfortunately it did not go through.
“We believe it is necessary to revive the bill, especially as we head into another election year with the reconstitution of a new national assembly.
“There is a need to stop the exploitation of Nigerians with outrageous bills and the best way to do that is to make it a crime to issue estimated bills to customers.”
“The MYTO has been approved for DisCos until 2025, which will see periodic reviews in rates to customers based on certain parameters.
“We believe that the only way you can serve customers better is to measure them to prevent further exploitation,” he said.
Fadairo noted that although the Meter Asset Provider (MAP) scheme was currently underway, the DisCos must speed up action to ensure prompt metering of all customers who had made payments for their prepaid meters.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- EFCC traces N130m illegal trasnfer into ex-Speaker Patricia Etteh’s account
- FCTA laments influx of beggars from states
- NERC releases update on alleged Tariff increment
- Saraki woos Osun PDP delegates, canvasses support for Adeleke
- PHOTO NEWS: Tinubu visits Kwara, salutes Emir Sulu-Gambari
- Tinubu assures of victory against any PDP candidate
- KWACCIMA pleads with FG to reopen Kwara, Niger borders
- Minister promises NDC more supports for effective performance
- 2023: Why I want to contest for Ilorin West/ Asa Reps— Ajia
- BREAKING…. Many school children, others affected as explosion rocks Kano