As the search for the numerous passengers who were abducted in the ill-fated train entoure Kaduna from Abuja continues, the Federal Goverment has announced that it would soon resume passengers train services on the route.
The information is as contained in a statement signed by Engr. Niyi Ali on behalf of the NRC Managing Director, Engr. Fidet Okhiria.
According to the statement, connections which were damaged as a result of bandits’ attack on the AKTS section of the route has been completed, while loco 2502 which was involved in the accident, though not damaged and trapped at the Rigasa end due to lack of route access has now crossed to the Idu end and taken to the Workshop for proper exwasnation.
“The connection of the AKTS,line has been achieved. This implies that the major track components (Concrete Sleepers and Rails) have been completely laid. The south end of the tracks (which was destroyed by the explosion) has been successfully joined with the north end. Track access between Abuja and Kaduna is now restored.
“The Technical Team continue with other track stablization works including Ballasting, Temping, Fastening of accessories (clips, bolts and nuts) and Welding.”
He further stated that “Loco 2502 which was involved in the accident (though not damaged) and trapped at the Rigasa end due to lack of route access has now crossed to the Idu end and taken to the Workshop for proper examination and routine maintenance.”
He said “The Abuja – Kaduna Train Service (AKTS) will resume soon with additional security measures put in place.”
He also said when the trains resume, “passengers will be required to provide their NIN registration for verification prior to purchasing train tickets. This is for improved Passenger profiling and safety on-board.
- 2023 election about competence, not religion– Tinubu Group
- 2023: Osinbajo group endorses Tinubu, receives APC letter of recognition
- Kwara Govt converts Ilorin General Hospital to teaching hospital
- I won’t forget Nigerians if elected, Tinubu vows
- Spectrum Auction will democratize broadband for Nigerians — Danbatta
- Olam, Kwara Govt treat communities on tropical diseases
- Presidential rally: Tinubu’s supporters besiege Teslim Balogun Stadium, Lagos
- Court fines PRP’s presidential candidate, Kola Abiola, for late documents filing
- Two FRSC officers crushed to death by truck in Akwa Ibom
- World cup: Host country Qatar eliminated