The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Wednesday said it had concluded arrangements to resume Continuous Voter Registration (CVR) on Monday, June 28.
The commission’s chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, disclosed this at their meeting in Abuja with the Resident Electoral Commissioners (RECs) for the 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
Yakubu explained the commission was working to update its registration software to accommodate the newly established polling units to enable prospective voters to register.
“However, more work still lies ahead. Apart from the CVR, we shall continue our preparations for two bye-elections scheduled for June 19 in Sabon Gari State Constituency in Kaduna State and Gwaram Federal Constituency in Jigawa State,” he said.
He said the commission was waiting for the official declaration of vacancies by the House of Representatives for the Jos North/Bassa Federal Constituency in Plateau and Lere Federal Constituency in Kaduna State.
“Furthermore, preparations for the Anambra State Governorship election to be held on Nov. 6 and the FCT Area Council election scheduled for Feb. 12 will be prioritised.
“Similarly, we shall continue our early preparations for the 2023 general elections.
“In this regards, the commission has already established an Election Project Plan (EPP) committee to work on the 2023 election plan.
“The idea is to complete the plan early enough and make sure that we are fully ready for the election, which is now only 640 days away,” he said.
Yakubu said INEC had successfully concluded stakeholder engagements on the expansion of voter access to pulling units.
The chairman said the commission would soon meet to finalise the compilation and coding of polling units and would thereafter make the information public.
- NSCDC arrest 7 suspects over alleged energy theft/meter tampering in Kwara
- SAD….34-year-old Sodiq Adebisi dies during football training
- 150 Days in Office: CDS, Gen. CG Musa: A Pragmatic silent achiever
- Ibadan-based herbalist, Ojuwoni Atakoro, one other remanded in Ilorin prison
- Proper use of national budget, critical to economic dev —Akpabio
- EFCC, DSS, NCoS bosses To Face Reps C’ttee Over Failed Attempt To Rearrest Emefiele
- Senator Hussaini sympathises with Kaduna people over misdirected bombing
- Senator Natasha seeks NCDMB, NAFDAC partnership on alternative medicine
- Senate gives NPA 48hrs ultimatum to produce unaccounted $1.8bn
- KWASACA seeks stakeholders’ support to end HIV/AIDS by 2030