Six out of the eight political parties that signified their intentions to take part in the March 14 by-election into Patigi constituency in the state House of assembly have submitted the forms EC9 and EC9E to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), in Abuja.
INEC Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC), in Kwara, Malam Garba Attahiru-Madami disclosed this to the on Wednesday in Ilorin.
He said INEC headquarters communicated the list of the six political parties to Kwara through a letter signed by the Commission’s Secretary, Mrs Rose Anthony.
The letter, dated Feb 20, 2020 was titled: “Forwarding of forms EC9 and final list of candidates for Patigi State Constituency By-election scheduled for 14th day of March, 2020.”
The REC added that by the letter from INEC headquarters, only six political parties would take part in the by-election.
He gave the names of the six political parties and their candidates to include; Shehu D Usman (AAC), Zubairu Shaba Musa (ADC) and Ahmed Rufai Adam (APC).
Others were Mohammed Aishetu (APM), Oladipo Benjamin (NNPP) and Mohammed Salihu Yahaya (PDP).
Attahiru-Madami added that the Commission has published the list of the candidates that would take part in the March 14 by-election in accordance with section 31 (3) of the Electoral Act 2010 as amended.
ROYAL NEWS reports that the parties are; Action Alliance (AA), African Democratic Congress (ADC), African Action Congress (AAC), All Progressive Congress (APC), Allied Peoples Movement (APM), Action Peoples Party (APP), New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP) and Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
Patigi constituency in the House of Assembly became vacant following the death of member representing the constituency, Mr Ahmed Rufai on Tuesday Dec. 3, 2019.
It was also gathered that the Clerk of Kwara House of Assembly notified INEC about the death of the member via a letter on Jan. 27, 2020 in line with section 116 (2) of the 1999 Constitution.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Kogi Assembly seals Dangote Cement factory
- Kwara NUJ holds Ilorin NBA in friendly match to mark 2022 Press week
- Google announces first Cloud Region in Africa
- Kaduna CP warns against extra judicial killings
- Senate moves to make Nigeria manufacturing country
- Senate exits Customs, FIRS, NCC, others from budget
- Senate confirms 19 RECs, NUPRC Executive Commissioner
- Ijara-Isin monarch hails TIC Chairman on birthday occasion
- Nigeria in Calamitous situation over oil theft, vandalism, others — NNPCL
- Minister, others reject Senate’s bill on proposed innovation agency