Kayode Alabi, the Deputy Governor of Kwara, has described the Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium in Benin as the best in Nigeria.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Alabi stated this on Thursday during his tour of the stadium with the host Deputy Governor, Philip Shaibu.
He said the remodelled stadium, with the facilities available in it, could host various international competitions, including the African Games and Olympics.
He particularly commended Gov. Godwin Obaseki for empowering the people of Edo through sports.
“I want to state it categorically clear that Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium is the best stadium in Nigeria.
“I have gone round the stadium, from the tennis courts to the badminton court, the squash court, the gymnastics hall and swimming pool, all I can say is that the state government invested hugely in the sports sector.
“With the facilities on ground, Edo can host the Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON), African Games and the Olympics.
“Gov. Godwin Obaseki is doing well in the area of engaging the youths through sports and I know in the nearest future Edo will become a force to reckon with in the sports industry,” Alabi said,
He disclosed that Kwara would study the model of the refurbished Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium to ensure the state hosts national competitions in the nearest future.
NAN reports that Edo is currently playing host to the country’s 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) in the 20th National Sports Festival (NSF) tagged “Edo 2020”.
The festival which began on April 2 will officially end on Wednesday.(NAN)
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign
- Nigeria Air: FG selects Ethiopian Airlines as preferred bidder
- Buhari urges more private sector participation in humanitarian sector
- COAS tasks retired officers on maximum utilisation of entitlements
- Sulu-Gambari greets Olomu of Omu-Aran, Oba Adeoti at 66
- PDP governors working to resolve party crisis—Tambuwal