London museum returns looted Benin bronzes to Nigeria

Date:


A small museum in south-east London has begun the official process of returning looted Benin bronzes to Nigeria.

The Horniman Museum, which houses a collection of 72 treasured items that were taken by force from Benin City in 1897, officially handed over ownership of the artefacts to the Nigerian government on Monday.

The Horniman described returning the looted objects as a “moral and appropriate” response after a request from Nigeria’s National Commission for Museums and Monuments (NCMM).

There are still questions about whether thousands of items which were held at large institutions globally, including the British Museum, will ever be sent back.

However, the first six objects which were being returned includes two Benin Bronze plaques from the royal palace which were handed over to Nigerian officials at a ceremony marking the transfer of ownership of 72 looted items.

The items were taken from Benin City by British troops in February 1897.

Nick Merriman, chief executive of the Horniman Museum and Gardens, and prof. Abba Tijani, the NCMM’s director general, were asked by journalists ahead of the official handover if they were frustrated at the British Museum’s apparent reluctance to hand over the 900 objects it had held for more than a century.

Merriman, who said the Horniman had been an “excellent example” of leadership, stated that, “Journalists who ask me about the Benin return always want to ask me about the British Museum.”

“I would rather talk about what an excellent example the Horniman is rather than answer questions about the British Museum.”

The six objects selected in consultation with the NCMM as being representative of the collection of 72 items form the first wave of physical repatriation of Benin objects from the Horniman.

A new agreement between the NCMM and the Horniman will allow the remainder to stay in Britain on loan for now, with a second phase of physical repatriations to follow in due course.

Professor Tijani later explained that about 5,000 Benin bronzes were currently “scattered” around the world.

He said that he is hoping that talks with various institutions may result in deals that could herald the items being returned from places including Germany and the U.S.

Facebook Comments Box

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Latest

More like this
Related

BREAKING…. AbdulRazaq finally settles for Yahaya Seriki as next Kwara Governor

Following extensive consultations with party structures and leadership, I...

Falana Petitions African Rights Body Over Xenophobic Violence Against Nigerians in South Africa

Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Femi Falana, has petitioned the...

Confusion as APC Denies Press Entry in Lagos Primaries

Journalists were on Wednesday reportedly thrown out of the...

Anger as Protesters Kick Against Yahaya Bello’s Senate Move

Hundreds of aggrieved residents from Kogi Central on Wednesday...

Kano Gov, Kabiru Yusuf blasts Rabiu Kwankwaso, threatens to make revelations if…..

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of ‎Kano State has warned...

NDC Closes Presidential Form Sales as Peter Obi Emerges Sole Aspirant

ABUJA — The Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) has closed...

KWHA Speaker, Yakubu Danladi wins Kwara APC guber ticket

The chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Supervisory...

Ex-Senate President, Ahmad Lawan secures APC ticket for Yobe North

President of the 9th Senate, Senator Ahmad Lawan, has...