By Ihegazie Chidinma
Speaker House of Representatives, Mr Femi Gbajabiamila, at the weekend, said that members of the ninth National Assembly are committed to ensuring that young Nigerians are empowered as a way of reducing poverty in the country.
The speaker said this at an empowerment outreach programme where 1020 laptops were given to teachers, 145 automobiles including ambulances, cars and buses were distributed and financial support were given to 156 business owners in Surulere Constituency.
Gbajabiamila, however, said he was committed to enacting laws that will improve the lives of Nigerians.
“We are here today to witness appreciate the benefits of the interaction between the legislature on the one hand and the constituency and constituents on the other.
“Our responsibility as legislators is to feel the pulse of the constituents and look to address their needs. I’ve always had a passion for education and I’ve tried to focus on touching the lives of students a d teachers in our constituency.
“We are working to do more and attract more projects to our communities. It is my belief that by the time we are done with our tenure, Surulere, Lagos and Nigeria will not be recognizable again.
“Nigeria is blessed with a lot of young potential, young men and women who have the capacity, knowledge, know-how, drive, sincerity of purpose, but unfortunately yet to have the endowment to thrive.
“I promise you today and I give you my solemn word that those of us in the ninth assembly will continue to do what we can, whenever, wherever, however we can to make sure that these young boys and girls, who we call the greater tomorrow, are indeed given a seat at the table and perhaps someday, sit at the head of the table.
APC chairman Mr Cornelius Oceania in his remarks, commended the Speaker for the empowerment outreach, said that the party and Nigerians are proud of his gesture.
He also urged the beneficiaries of the outreach programme to make use of the items.
Governor of Lagos State, Mr Femi Pedro and former Minister of State for Defence, Senator Musiliu Obanikoro commended the Speaker for his gesture and assured him of their support to seek a higher office.
However, he urged schools, who were beneficiaries of the ICT centres to “use it to their advantages
- Hypertension, Diabetes, Cancers, Others Responsible for 22% of Premature Deaths—WHO
- Breaking…… Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Croatia knocks out ‘confident’ Brazil from Qatar 2022 Fifa World Cup
- Cashless Policy: CBN meets Senate panel on cash withdrawal limit
- Labour Party sacks publicity secretary, Ogun chapter excos
- NUJ recognises Osoba, Dokpesi, others as icons in media industry
- Newly redesigned Naira now in banks, ready for issuance – Emefiele
- FG develops renewable energy policy to add 30,000MW of electricity
- Buhari congratulates ex-Minister of Defence, Theophilus Danjuma at 85
- Buhari celebrates renowned scholar, Prof. Umaru Shehu at 92