The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, has expressed shock over the death of the Oniru of Iruland, Victoria Island, Lagos, Oba Idowu Abiodun Oniru.
Oniru died on Monday after a brief illness. He was aged 82.
Gbajabiamila said Oba Oniru would be remembered for his fatherly role and commitment to the development of Iruland.
In a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Lanre Lasisi, the Speaker described the passing of the monarch as painful at a time when his advice and guidance were needed by leaders of the state and country.
Gbajabiamila, who noted that Oniru was the architect of the modern and sprawling Oniru Estate on Victoria Island, added that the late traditional ruler did a lot to develop his land, the results of which could be attested to by all.
He said, “I wish to extend my heartfelt condolences to the family of our late royal father, His Royal Majesty Oba Idowu Abiodun Oniru. His death came to me as a shock, but I take solace in the exemplary life that he lived and the legacies that he left behind.
“Oba Idowu Abiodun Oniru was a father to all. He was a peace loving man, who did his best to make his people happy. I wish to commiserate with the government and the people of Lagos State, particularly the subjects of His Royal Majesty, over this great and irreparable loss.”
The Speaker prayed for the repose of the soul of the late royal father.
- 12yrs of exit: Remembering Alh. S.A. Arowona everyday with prayers
- 52 new Pharmacists emerged at UNILORIN
- Reps reject Naira swap extension, threatens Emefiele’s arrest
- UNILORIN: Female varsity don performs first cancer-of-the-eye treatment
- Fuel scarcity bites harder in Dutse as litre hits N340
- New Notes: We will monitor banks’ vaults– CBN
- Rail transport system coming to Ebonyi soon– Umahi
- Art Legendary, Oladejo Akinlonu dies at 60
- Dogara takes over today as new NYSC DG
- IsDB, UNCTAD, unite over sustainable investment