A 27-year-old woman, Saratu Ya’u, was on Wednesday arraigned before a High Court sitting in Kano, for alleged murder of her 5-year-old son (name withheld).
The defendant, who resides at Sabon Birni Village in Gwarzo Local Government Area of of the state, is facing a count charge of culpable homicide.
The Prosecutor, Mr Lamido Sorondinki, told the court that the accused person committed the offence on June 12, 2018 at Sabon Birni, Gwarzo.
Sorondinki alleged that on the same date at about 8:25 a.m. the defendant slaughtered her 5-year-old son with a sharp knife which led to his death.
The prosecution filed an application before the court in reference to Section 280 (1,2,3 and 4) of the Criminal Justice Law 2019, praying the court to send the defendant to psychiatric hospital for medical evaluation.
According to the prosecution, the offence contravened Section 221 of the Penal Code.
The defendant, however, pleaded guilty to the charge.
The trial Judge, Justice Ibrahim Karaye, ordered the defendant to be refer to psychiatric hospital for medical examinations.
Karaye adjourned the case until Oct. 8, for hearing.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Kogi Assembly seals Dangote Cement factory
- Kwara NUJ holds Ilorin NBA in friendly match to mark 2022 Press week
- Google announces first Cloud Region in Africa
- Kaduna CP warns against extra judicial killings
- Senate moves to make Nigeria manufacturing country
- Senate exits Customs, FIRS, NCC, others from budget
- Senate confirms 19 RECs, NUPRC Executive Commissioner
- Ijara-Isin monarch hails TIC Chairman on birthday occasion
- Nigeria in Calamitous situation over oil theft, vandalism, others — NNPCL
- Minister, others reject Senate’s bill on proposed innovation agency