Some of the governors in Nyesom Wike’s camp will support the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential candidate Atiku Abubakar.
This is according to the spokesman of the Atiku/PDP Presidential Campaign Council (PCC) Dino Melaye.
The main opposition party has been in crisis following Atiku’s victory at the presidential primary where he defeated Governor Wike of Rivers State. The governor and his allies have since then demanded the resignation of the PDP National Chairman Iyorchia Ayu, maintaining that he is from the same region as the party’s flagbearer. Efforts to reconcile them have thus far failed with Wike and his allies pulling out of the party’s presidential campaign.
However, Melaye, a former Senator representing Kogi West, believes some of the governors in Wike’s camp will work for the party in next year’s general election.
L-R: Governors Seyi Makinde of Oyo, Nyesom Wike of Rivers, Samuel Ortom of Benue, Okezie Ikpeazu of Abia, and Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Enugu State at the Banquet Hall of the Benue State Government House in Makurdi, Benue State on Sunday, November 6, 2022
“What is the role of Atiku Abubakar in Ayu leaving or not? To start with, the governors brought in Ayu without the consent or approval of Atiku,” he said on Channels Television’s Politics Today on Tuesday.
“Ayu is a creation of the governors. Governor Wike was responsible for the coming of Ayu while governor Ortom was the guarantor.
“Ayu is their product. That is why there was no competition. That is why Ayu was the sole candidate. By the time Ayu was coming, were they thinking that Ayu is from Abia, Enugu, or Ogbomoso?
“Ayu is not Atiku’s son that he will say ‘go and sit down.’ For you to ask Atiku to take panadol for another person’s headache shows the insincerity of purpose, heart, and commitment.
“Above all, by the grace of God, at the end of the day, we may not get everybody together, but I want to tell you that some of these governors are still going to work for their party.
“Even one of the governors — governor of Abia — when he was talking in Makurdi yesterday, said that they should vote PDP from top to bottom. He did not segregate, meaning that he is ready to work for the party.”
- BREAKING… IGP, Usman Baba sentenced to prison
- Arsonists cannot deter us from holding 2023 elections, INEC Chairman
- Bank failure: Depositors’ monies safe– NDIC assures
- FG approves 2-week paternity leave for civil servants
- Labour Party challenges Tinubu to open debate with Peter Obi
- Society for Peace Holds 16th Annual Conference Nov. 30
- If you think migrating legally is good for you, go– Femi Adesina
- Lagos 2023: Two guber candidates step down for Jandor
- Housewife, 20, arrested for allegedly killing her co-wife with pestle in Bauchi
- Buhari’s in-law, Sha’aban resigns from APC