Former students of Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok in Borno state, Joy Bishara and Lydia Pogu have graduated from Southeastern University in the United States after escaping from Boko Haram terrorists in 2014.
While Bishara graduated with a degree in social work, Pogu earned her degree in legal studies and graduated on April 30.
Recounting how they escaped from the terrorists after being kidnapped alongside 276 schoolgirls, the duo said they escaped by jumping off the truck while being driven away from their community by the terrorists.
Recounting their ordeal, Bishara told GMA3;
“I remember thinking about what my mum would do at that moment then I prayed. I just remembered a voice in my head saying ‘jump out’. I knew I was going to die either way. I chose to die and that was how I jumped out.”
On how she felt the day she graduated, Bishara said;
“It was awesome, I felt great. I remember being told that I wasn’t going to be able to finish high school; that I was dumb. I never gave up or listened to all the negative talks. It was exciting to walk on that stage after being told ‘you can’t do it’.”
Pogu who also shared her story, said she had decided against going back to school after her escape until she was contacted by the US embassy.
Narrating how things turned around her, she added;
“I’m now trying to get my masters in human services and going back to law school when I’m done with my masters.”
Watch the video below…
“It was exciting to walk on that stage after being told you can’t do it.”
— GMA3: What You Need To Know (@ABCGMA3) May 7, 2021
- Make peace your priority, PCN National Commandant, Akoh charges Nigerians
- Update On Doctor Who Performed Surgery For Late Adebola Akin-Bright
- EFCC, FRSC Deepen Collaboration in Fighting Corruption
- DSS Didn’t Arrest Kano Guber Tribunal Judge — Spokesperson
- Bandits kill 10 farmers during harvest in Borno— Lawmaker
- Wike approves revocation of 165 plots of land in FCT
- Breaking….Kano govt. lifts 24hrs curfew
- Commissioner seeks synergy with revenue agency in Kwara
- We’re committed to Gov. AbdulRazaq’s Ease-of-Doing-Business in Kwara–Commissioner
- Kwara Govt launches distribution of textbooks, sports kits for public basic schools