U.S. Representative Ilhan Omar said she was “drawing up” articles of impeachment against U.S. President Donald Trump after masses of angry pro-Trump protesters stormed the Capitol building in Washington DC on Wednesday.
“I am drawing up Articles of Impeachment,” the Democratic congresswoman wrote on Twitter.
“Donald J. Trump should be impeached by the House of Representatives & removed from office by the United States Senate,” she added.
Hundreds of demonstrators breached security and scaled the steps of the building where lawmakers were due to certify president-elect Joe Biden’s win in the November election.
Hours earlier, Trump riled up his supporters repeating baseless allegations of election fraud and encouraged them to march to the Capitol.
The Senate and House of Representatives abruptly called off their sessions, where they had been debating Republican challenges to results in U.S. states that Biden won, as the building went into lockdown.
Congress reconvened in the evening, with senators from both sides of the aisle condemning the violence and vowing to complete the certification process.
Omar was among the four non-white Democrat congresswomen (known as “The Squad”), who Trump disparaged during a campaign rally in September and falsely implied that she’s not American.
The other three women are Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, Ayanna Presley of Massachusetts, and Rashida Tlaib of Michigan.
“The President clearly loves to prey on people’s fears. He spreads the disease of hate everywhere he goes, and these cult rallies that he’s holding across the country are now being fueled by fear, and it is no surprise that he is so fearful of winning Minnesota that he has to resort to this hate,” Omar told CNN’s Brianna Keilar on “Right Now”.
“Not only is he a racist, but he’s a racist xenophobic. Because he’s not against immigration, he’s just against immigrants who look like me,” the Somali-American Congresswoman had said at the time.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide
- Senate hints on Electoral Offences Bill for 2023 elections
- Tstv accepts pay per view model against other stakeholders
- Breaking…. Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Bill demanding to Legalize Power Rotation stepped down in Senate
- Senate Moves to Whittle Down Powers of CBN Governor
- National Assembly’s Clerk, Amos Ojo solicits support for security agencies
- 2022 Olojo: Ooni assures of restoration of Nigeria’s lost glory