No fewer than three patients who have tested for the coronavirus infection have been received by the authority of the University of Benin Teaching Hospital, (UBTH), the Chief Medical Director of the hospital, Prof. Darlington Obaseki, has revealed.
Obaseki stated this on Sunday in a statement signed issued in Benin on Sunday. He said the two surviving patients were currently being cared for by “our dedicated staff in an isolation ward with restricted access.”
The CMD was, however, silent on what happened to the third case even though the NCDC had reported that Edo had recorded one death.
When our correspondent probed further via the telephone, the Public Relations Officer of the hospital, Mr Joshua Uwaila, said he could not add to what the CMD had said in the statement.
He declined to say whether the third case was the only recorded death in the state.
“Everything you need is contained in the statement by the CMD, I cannot add to it. I don’t know anything about the third case, the CMD has said everything,” he said.
The CMD also confirmed that prior to confirmation of their COVID-19 status, “some of our healthcare staff were exposed to these patients whilst using only personal protection (surgical face-masks and gloves).
“Currently, all staff who were exposed to these patients are asymptomatic and they are being monitored closely according to current guidelines.
“Further measures have been put in place to ensure that our staff are not unduly exposed to risks of infection with COVID-19 in the course of their providing care for patients who come to the hospital for various reasons.”
According to him, healthcare workers are on the front lines in the pandemic battle and are therefore at a higher risk of being exposed than the general public.
Obaseki added that the management and staff of UBTH while ensuring standard precautions at all times to prevent the spread of the disease, craved the support and understanding of the general public “as we fight this raging battle to contain and curb COVID-19.”
- Naira depreciates marginally, exchanges at 445.83 to dollar
- YABATECH suspends ‘students’ week’ over shooting incident on campus
- Again Twitter suspends Kanye’s account for violating rules
- Osun: Adeleke’s emergence as Gov divine– Traditional worshippers
- Aisha Buhari now wears dress meant for 3 people– Solomon Dalung
- A’Ibom YPP Guber Candidate Jailed For 42Yrs
- Abuja-Kaduna train service resumes Dec. 5– FG
- Angry youths set ablaze Iree Oba’s Palace in Osun
- Oyetola left N76bn debt, says Osun Govt
- Gov Ademola frowns at delay in Nov salary, issues ultimatum