A source alleged that three policemen were killed after which their rifles were carted away by the gunmen who set the police patrol vehicle ablaze.
But the Police Command in Anambra said only one officer was confirmed dead at an undisclosed hospital.
Mr Toochukwu Ikenga, a Deputy Superintendent of Police and the Command’s Public Relations Officer, said no fewer than 20 unidentified gunmen in three Toyota Siena buses and motorcycles engaged the policemen in a gun duel.
He said the gun battle lasted about 30 minutes before the assailants fled the scene after a reinforcement was mobilised.
“There was an attack on Police patrol team at Okacha junction, Neni in Anaocha by yet to be identified gunmen on March 18 at about 4:30 pm.
“The hoodlums, numbering over 20, engaged the policemen in a gun-duel for over 30 minutes before reinforcement from the state headquarters arrived, forcing the hoodlums to escape.
“As a result, two police operatives sustained gunshot injuries and were rushed to the hospital for medical attention where one was confirmed dead by a medical doctor,” he stated.
Ikenga said the Commissioner of Police, Mr Monday Kuryas, visited the scene and that investigation is ongoing to unmask those behind the attack while assuring that they would be hunted down and prosecuted.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Buhari to presents 2023 budget to NASS Oct. 7
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities
- Scandal rocks CCB as commissioners accuse chairman of corruption
- Atala Oil Field: NUPRC under fire in Senate over wrongful re-allocation
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport