New Orleans rapper, Mystikal, who had been in custody for nearly 1½ years on a rape charge, has been released after his rape charges were dismissed due to lack of evidence.
Tyler was accused of sexual assault after a woman claimed that the rapper sexually assaulted her at a Shreveport casino in October 2016 and was indicted on charges of first-degree rape and second-degree kidnapping.
The rapper, whose real name is Michael Tyler was arrested in 2017 after investigators submitted physical evidence to a lab, they were notified that the DNA linked Tyler and another man named Averweone Holman, 26, to the alleged rape.
Tyler spent 18 months behind bars until he finally posted a $3 million bond in February to secure his release from a Louisiana prison.
“However, additional evidence and information were discovered and the case was resubmitted to this second grand jury in the interest of justice,” the district attorney’s office explained Thursday.
“Based on the grand jury’s decision, the Caddo Parish district attorney’s office will dismiss the charges pending against Mr. Tyler.”
Mystikal’s attorney, Joel Peace, told TMZ … the charges went away because “new scientific evidence emerged causing the Grand Jury to take a second look at the rape allegations made against [him].”
- Yahoo boy arrested for beating undergraduate girlfriend to death in Ogun
- Governor Ikpeazu signs female inheritance bill into law
- Kwara Gov. reshuffles cabinet, swears-in new commissioners, others
- SON issues MANCAP certificates to 102 companies in Kano
- KAM Holding Gets SON Applause, Bags 6 MANCAP Certificates (PHOTOS)
- ASUU: Lectures receive full salaries for November, without arrears
- Osun Speaker, Owoeye meets Governor Adeleke
- Adeleke tasks panels to recover ”looted” state assets
- Lawmaker assures release of detained Nigerian lady in UAE
- Qatar says 500 death toll of World Cup workers recorded