It was a tough situation for the River State Governor, Nyesom Wike, to manage when his former Commissioner for Chieftaincy and Community Affairs, John Bazia, attacked him on a live Tv programme on Monday.
The duo of Wike and Bazia had both appeared on tbe programme to discuss the recent defections between the Peoples Democratic Party and the All Progressives Congress in the state.
During the programme tagged: “Politics Today”, a current affairs on Channels TV, Bazia who had dumped the PDP for the APC described the governor as a thug.
According to him, “The governor, Wike, I must tell you (that) all those who are with him, they know what they are going through. But you have been seeing him on TV and the way he has been behaving in Nigeria. Sometimes, you will be baffled if that is an enlightened and educated mind; the way he carries himself. He forgets that he holds the exalted position, the office of the governor. He behaves like a thug…”
The anchor, Seun Okinbaloye, however, interjected Bazia, saying his words were weighty while Wike was miffed when the interviewer called him to react to the ex-commissioner.
Wike said: “You sit down there and somebody who said I appointed him had the temerity, the audacity to say I behave like a thug, and you are asking me that question to react to what somebody I appointed (as commissioner).
“However, let me tell you: look at him talking now. When he was commissioner, did he look that haggard? A thug appointed you commissioner; you never knew that he was a thug but he appointed you a commissioner. So, only when he removed you that you then know that he behaves like a thug. You did not resign, you were working with a thug all the while until when the thug did not bring you back as a commissioner (for a second term in 2019), you then realised that he behaves like a thug.
“Now, look at the kind of characters we have and these are the kinds of people that you want me to respond to: somebody who stole the ‘kola’ of traditional rulers and up till now, he has not gone to court to challenge our saying (allegation) that he stole ‘kola’ given to traditional rulers and clergymen.
“Why did he not resign when he was commissioner? When I won my second tenure, he was lobbying that I was going to bring him back, but when I appointed another commissioner, he knew that he would not come back.”
- Kashim Shettima delivers Al-Hikmah convocation lecture
- (PHOTOS) IGP Egbetokun, Amb. Sulu-Gambari, others bag Al-Hikmah Ph.D
- AMR’ll account for 10 million annual deaths by 2050- WHO
- ANHEJ advocates for increased budgetary allocation to health sector
- Emir Sulu-Gambari hosts Kauran Namoda, Imo monarchs in Ilorin (PHOTOS)
- PHOTO NEWS: EFCC Ilorin zonal organises road-walk against corruption
- Photo News: ROYAL NEWS 10th anniversary, public lecture, book presentation
- Court grants ex-AGF, Adoke permission to celebrate Xmas with family in Dubai
- NJC recommends compulsory retirement of Osun High Court Judge, orders probe into 51 petitions against others
- UNESCO Inscribes Sango Festival in World Heritage List