2027 Eligibility: Jonathan knows fate May 26

Date:


Ahead of the forthcoming general elections, the Federal High Court in Abuja has scheduled judgment for May 26 on a suit querying ex-President Goodluck Jonathan’s eligibility to contest the 2027 presidential election.

Justice Peter Lifu confirmed the date after listening to arguments from lawyers to parties in the suit filed by a lawyer, Johnmary Jideobi.

Jonathan’s lawyer, Chris Uche (SAN), while arguing both his client’s counter affidavit and preliminary objection, prayed the court to dismiss the suit with a cost of N50million.

Uche cited two previous judgements such as the Federal High Court between Andy Solomon and Jonathan; and that of Court of Appeal between Cyracus Njoku and Jonathan, which he said were dismissed.

He argued that the amendment to the Section 137(3) of the Constitution, which bars officials who had sworn to an oath previously for more than twice, from seeking the same office, cannot be applied retroactively against Jonathan, who contested in 2015.

Uche equally argued that Jideobi was trying to weaponise litigation as a means of political exclusion when the Constitution grants every qualified citizen the right to seek for the highest office in the land.

READ ALSO: FRSC vows clampdown on fake diplomatic number plates, overloading
Jonathan’s lawyer said: “He (Jideobi) has no locus standi (the legal right to sue) to bring this action and no cause of action has crystallised.”

He added that for Jideobi to have locus, he must demonstrate how it affects him directly, and show he is a registered voter to show he is interested in who governs him.

Lawyer to the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF), Dr Maimuna Lamin Shiru (the Director of Civil Litigation and Public Law at the Federal Ministry of Justice) equally prayed the court to dismiss Jideobi’s claim in its entirety.

Plaintiff’s lawyer, Ndubuisi Ukpai contended that the issue of being a registered voter is never a condition for bringing the suit before the court.

Ukpai urged the court to dismiss objections and counter affidavit of Jonathan and the AGF.

Earlier, both Uche and Lami-Shiru urged the court to equally dismiss a motion filed by the plaintiff, praying the judge to withdraw from the case over alleged bias.

Jideobi, in the suit marked FHC/ABJ/CS/2102/2025, urged the court to among others, determine “whether in view of the combined provisions of Sections 1(1), (2) and (3) and 137(3) of the 1999 Constitution, Jonathan is eligible, under any circumstances whatsoever, to contest for the office of the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

He argued among others, that Jonathan had already exhausted the constitutional limit of two terms, having completed the tenure of the late President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua before serving another full term after winning the 2011 presidential election.

The plaintiff wants the court to among others, issue an order restraining Jonathan from presenting himself to any political party as a candidate for the 2027 election, and to stop INEC from accepting or publishing Jonathan’s name as a presidential candidate.

Facebook Comments Box

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Latest

More like this
Related

Togo Eases Travel Rules, Introduces 30-Day Visa-Free Entry

The Togolese government has announced a new visa-free policy...

Shettima Reveals Plotters Told Tinubu He ‘Charmed’ Campaign Clothes

Vice-President Kashim Shettima has revealed that some individuals allegedly...

Technical Training Students Cry Out Over Withheld Stipends

Thousands of Nigerian youths enrolled in the Federal Government’s...

NDC Verifies Peter Obi for 2027 Presidential Ambition

The Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) on Tuesday screened former...

Kwara South APC Chairmen Endorse Yahaya Seriki

Chairmen of the All Progressives Congress (APC) across the...

NAF Airstrikes Destroy Terrorist Strongholds Along Nigeria–Cameroon Border

The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) says its air component...

Muslim Group Raises Concerns Over Alleged RCCG Protest Plans

A Muslim advocacy organisation, the Muslim Media Watch Group...

João Pedro Reacts After Missing Brazil’s 2026 World Cup Squad

Chelsea forward João Pedro has expressed disappointment after being...