Thousands of youths at the weekend marched across the major streets of Ilorin the Kwara State capital to declare their support for the presidential ambition of the former Senate President, Dr Bukola Saraki come 2023.
The youths under the aegis of The Grow Nigeria Youth Movement converged on Saturday at the Kwara State Stadium as early as 7:00am and passed through Taiwo, Unity, Challege and Post Office before stopping at the GRA residence of the former Senate President.
Addressing the gathering on behalf of Saraki, the Kwara State chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and former Speaker of the State House of Assembly, Hon Babatunde Mohammed, said the action of the youth was in line with the agitation in the North Central region for the seat and the consensus on Saraki.
Babatunde urged other presidential aspirants in the party to support Saraki who “has the best credentials and background to unit the country especially at this time that we are viciously divided.
“Saraki has been trusted and tested and he has demonstrated capacity with requisite legislative and executive experiences that can return Nigeria to the path of economic prosperity and religious and ethnic unity”, he added.
He said the North Central remains the only region yet to rule the country and called on others geopolitical zones to rally behind it and Saraki in the spirit of fairness and equity.
On his part, the State Coordinator of Grow Nigeria Youth Network and Convener of the rally, Comrade AbdulHamid Issa Mohammed, said the movement held townhall meetings with youth across the country which follows it’s consultations across the country.
He said Saraki has the right family, religious and cosmopolitan backgrounds to advance the country’s unity at this time.
“Today, you see the mammoth crowd which is over 10,000 youths. If not for the fuel scarcity, this number would have more than tripled.
“Our match is not enough to make him the President of Nigeria except with our PVCs and that is why we are calling on other youths yet to get theirs to do so while those that already have should maintain it for the coming election to elect Saraki”, he added.
- Kashim Shettima delivers Al-Hikmah convocation lecture
- (PHOTOS) IGP Egbetokun, Amb. Sulu-Gambari, others bag Al-Hikmah Ph.D
- AMR’ll account for 10 million annual deaths by 2050- WHO
- ANHEJ advocates for increased budgetary allocation to health sector
- Emir Sulu-Gambari hosts Kauran Namoda, Imo monarchs in Ilorin (PHOTOS)
- PHOTO NEWS: EFCC Ilorin zonal organises road-walk against corruption
- Photo News: ROYAL NEWS 10th anniversary, public lecture, book presentation
- Court grants ex-AGF, Adoke permission to celebrate Xmas with family in Dubai
- NJC recommends compulsory retirement of Osun High Court Judge, orders probe into 51 petitions against others
- UNESCO Inscribes Sango Festival in World Heritage List