The Ilorin Zonal Command of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, on Wednesday, November 10, 2021 secured the conviction of 25-year-old Ayeni Peter Oluwatofunmi for impersonating a white America female, Daina Patrick, to swindle unsuspecting victims.
The offence is contrary to Section 321 of the Penal Code Law and punishable under Section 324 of the same law.
The defendant was prosecuted on one count, to which he pleaded guilty.
Upon the ‘guilty plea’ by the defendant, counsel to the EFCC, Rashidat Alao called a witness, who narrated how credible intelligence led to the arrest of the defendant. The witness, who is an operative of the Commission tendered several fraudulent messages printed from the device of the defendant, which the court admitted in evidence.
Alao thereafter urged the court to consider the plea entered by the defendant, his extra-judicial statements, the testimony of the sole prosecution witness and exhibits tendered to convict the defendant as charged.
Justice Mahmud Abdulgafar held that, “the court is satisfied that the prosecution has proved its case beyond reasonable doubt.”
The judge sentenced Ayeni to six months suspended prison term. The court also ordered the forfeiture of the sum of $200USD (Two Hundred Dollars) which the convict benefited from the unlawful activity, as well as the phone he used to perpetrate the crime to the Federal Government.
- 2023: INEC, NUJ collaborate on election, conflict-sensitive reporting
- Senate President cautions against Vote-trading in 2023 poll
- FG approves mother tongue as compulsory language in primary schools
- I’ll continue to prioritise education, says Gov Sule
- Police cautions governors against frustrating opposition parties’ campaign
- We’ll recover semester, session lost to strike – ASUU
- Yahoo boy arrested for beating undergraduate girlfriend to death in Ogun
- Governor Ikpeazu signs female inheritance bill into law
- Kwara Gov. reshuffles cabinet, swears-in new commissioners, others
- SON issues MANCAP certificates to 102 companies in Kano