Mrs Sadiya Umar Farouq, Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development has sympathised with victims of fire disaster at the Tipper Garage Market, 3rd Avenue, Gwarimpa in Abuja.
Farouq expressed compassion to the affected people in a statement by her Special Assistant on Media, Mrs Nneka Anibeze, in Abuja.
The fire razed the market in the early hours of Thursday in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
Farouq described the fire outbreak as tragic, adding that she was deeply saddened by the incident.
“I sympathize with the traders, especially those who lost their lives in the inferno.
“I learnt that six traders who lost their lives in the fire were said to be trapped in their stalls having passed the night there.
“I also sympathise with the families and relatives of the dead and pray God to grant them eternal rest,’’ she said.
Earlier, the minister directed the National Emergency Management Agency to assess the level of damage caused by the fire for immediate provision of relief and intervention materials.
The fire which started at midnight was said to have lasted over two hours before it was put out by the FCT Fire Service.
Goods worth millions of naira were burnt while several other traders sustained various degrees of burns.
Many houses around the market were also affected by the fire.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Buhari to presents 2023 budget to NASS Oct. 7
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities
- Scandal rocks CCB as commissioners accuse chairman of corruption
- Atala Oil Field: NUPRC under fire in Senate over wrongful re-allocation
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport