An activist, Mr Jacob Pwakim, has advised Nigerians protesting against the existence of the Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS), a unit of the Nigerian Police Force, to be civil and peaceful in their protests.
Pwakim, who is the Executive Director of an NGO, Youth Initiative Against Violence and Human Rights Abuse (YIAVHA), gave the advice in an interview with ROYAL NEWS on Friday in Jos.
He described the protest as genuine and long over due, but cautioned that it should not be allowed to turn violent.
He also warned the protesters against hiding under any guise to loot properties of innocent Nigerians.
“True activists are noble people, in spite of the hardships, you have to apply reason because it is all about a better society,”he said.
“You must make arrangements for security so that people do not take advantage of the protest to loot because looting is not part of activism,” the activist said.
He called on the government and security agencies to ensure that hoodlums did not take advantage of the protest to cause chaos.
ROYAL NEWS reports that in the last few days, protesters in some parts of the country have been calling on the Federal Government to scrap SARS alleging brutality on the part of its operatives and other police personnel.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment