The Ekiti State House of Assembly on Wednesday suspended the legislator representing Ekiti-East Constituency 1, Hon Fajana Ojo-Ade, for a period of 101 legislative days without pay, in the first instance, “except he shows signs of genuine remorse.”
While on suspension, he is also barred within one kilometre radius of the Assembly complex and he must submit all properties of Ekiti State House of Assembly in his custody to the clerk of the House.
According to a release signed on Wednesday in Ado-Ekiti, the state capital, by the Chairman, House Committee on Information, Honourable (Dr) Samuel Omotoso, the suspension came into force after the disciplinary committee set up by the Rt Hon Speaker, Pastor Kola Oluwawole, to investigate Hon Ojo-Ade submitted it’s report at
Omotoso said Ojo-Ade appeared twice at the sitting of the disciplinary committee in the last two weeks, where he defended himself on allegations of gross misconduct, financial impropriety, failed attempt at removing the Speaker, violence and physical attack on honourable members, as well as bringing the name of the House to serious disregard and disrepute.
Dr Omotoso stated further that the committee, in its report, said that “whereas Hon Fajana Ojo-Ade, a member of the fifth Assembly representing Ekiti-East 1, having been found guilty of grossmisconduct against the Ekiti State House of Assembly, hereby committed an offence by breaching the extant rules and standing orders of this honourable House.”
He said the House, at its plenary today, Wednesday 30th of August 2017, unanimously approved the recommendations of the disciplinary committee as follows:
1. That Hon Fajana Ojo-Ade is, hereby, suspended from the Ekiti State House of Assembly and all legislative duties for a period of 101 legislative days without pay, in the first instance, except there is a sign of genuine remorse.
2. That Hon Fajana Ojo-Ade should write a letter of apology through the Rt Hon Speaker to the Ekiti State House of Assembly.
3. That Hon Fajana Ojo-Ade is, hereby, barred within one kilometre radius of the Assembly complex and must summit all the official properties in his care to the clerk of the House.”
Dr Samuel Omotoso stated further that the Ekiti State House of Assembly, as a product of the rule of law, would, at all times, frown at any form of inappropriate behaviour by any member, “in our attempt to preserve the sanctity and the integrity of the institution for posterity.
- Naira redesign: Emefiele urges NASS, Nigerians to show understanding
- Fuel scarcity may affect election logistics — INEC
- SAD…. PDP campaign rally turns mourning in Sokoto as Tambuwal’s aide, Aisha Maina dies
- Nigeria attains 100% broadband penetration— Buhari
- UPDATED: Jigawa Govt annouces funeral as Emir of Dutse dies at 78
- Buhari inaugurates 5,700-hectare Irrigation Scheme, pledges more relief for flood victims
- 2023 polls will be the best, Senate President assures EU observers, Kenya’s Raila Odinga
- Ondo PoS operators increase charges over scarce new Naira notes
- Nigeria’s public debt stock increases to N44.06trn in Q3 2022 – NBS
- CBN directs banks to pay customers with ₦100, ₦50, ₦20, over-the-counter