Ambassador Babagana Kingibe has been appointed as Special Envoy with Cabinet Rank Status to Chad and the Lake Chad Basin Region by President Muhammadu Buhari.
Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Boss Mustapha made the announcement on Monday May 31.
Kinigbe tasks include monitoring developments in Chad and the Lake Chad Basin Region, and aid reconciliation and seamless progress towards a return to democratic rule at the end of the current Transitional Military Council’s rule.
He is also expected to collaborate with member countries and partners in the region with similar initiatives to restore stability, promote peace and security, as well as promote any other initiative ancillary to the restoration of peace and security in Chad, North-East Nigeria, and the Lake Chad Basin Region.
“This appointment of a Special Envoy by the President is also in consonance with the resolution of the Extraordinary Summit of Heads of State and Government of the Lake Chad Basin Commission Member Countries, on the situation in Chad on the 25th of May 2021.
“President Buhari has by this appointment demonstrated the determination of Nigeria to lead regional security efforts that will stabilise the Lake Chad Basin Region, bring peace to Chad, and ultimately eliminate the Boko Haram Insurgency in the North-East zone of Nigeria.
“This is also a fulfilment of the President’s promise to General Mahamat Deby Itno, the President of the Transitional Military Council of Chad, to support a seamless progress towards a return to democratic rule when he visited Nigeria in May 2021.”
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign
- Nigeria Air: FG selects Ethiopian Airlines as preferred bidder
- Buhari urges more private sector participation in humanitarian sector
- COAS tasks retired officers on maximum utilisation of entitlements
- Sulu-Gambari greets Olomu of Omu-Aran, Oba Adeoti at 66
- PDP governors working to resolve party crisis—Tambuwal