Ambassador Babagana Kingibe has been appointed as Special Envoy with Cabinet Rank Status to Chad and the Lake Chad Basin Region by President Muhammadu Buhari.
Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Boss Mustapha made the announcement on Monday May 31.
Kinigbe tasks include monitoring developments in Chad and the Lake Chad Basin Region, and aid reconciliation and seamless progress towards a return to democratic rule at the end of the current Transitional Military Council’s rule.
He is also expected to collaborate with member countries and partners in the region with similar initiatives to restore stability, promote peace and security, as well as promote any other initiative ancillary to the restoration of peace and security in Chad, North-East Nigeria, and the Lake Chad Basin Region.
“This appointment of a Special Envoy by the President is also in consonance with the resolution of the Extraordinary Summit of Heads of State and Government of the Lake Chad Basin Commission Member Countries, on the situation in Chad on the 25th of May 2021.
“President Buhari has by this appointment demonstrated the determination of Nigeria to lead regional security efforts that will stabilise the Lake Chad Basin Region, bring peace to Chad, and ultimately eliminate the Boko Haram Insurgency in the North-East zone of Nigeria.
“This is also a fulfilment of the President’s promise to General Mahamat Deby Itno, the President of the Transitional Military Council of Chad, to support a seamless progress towards a return to democratic rule when he visited Nigeria in May 2021.”
- Kashim Shettima delivers Al-Hikmah convocation lecture
- (PHOTOS) IGP Egbetokun, Amb. Sulu-Gambari, others bag Al-Hikmah Ph.D
- AMR’ll account for 10 million annual deaths by 2050- WHO
- ANHEJ advocates for increased budgetary allocation to health sector
- Emir Sulu-Gambari hosts Kauran Namoda, Imo monarchs in Ilorin (PHOTOS)
- PHOTO NEWS: EFCC Ilorin zonal organises road-walk against corruption
- Photo News: ROYAL NEWS 10th anniversary, public lecture, book presentation
- Court grants ex-AGF, Adoke permission to celebrate Xmas with family in Dubai
- NJC recommends compulsory retirement of Osun High Court Judge, orders probe into 51 petitions against others
- UNESCO Inscribes Sango Festival in World Heritage List