Ambassador Babagana Kingibe has been appointed as Special Envoy with Cabinet Rank Status to Chad and the Lake Chad Basin Region by President Muhammadu Buhari.
Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Boss Mustapha made the announcement on Monday May 31.
Kinigbe tasks include monitoring developments in Chad and the Lake Chad Basin Region, and aid reconciliation and seamless progress towards a return to democratic rule at the end of the current Transitional Military Council’s rule.
He is also expected to collaborate with member countries and partners in the region with similar initiatives to restore stability, promote peace and security, as well as promote any other initiative ancillary to the restoration of peace and security in Chad, North-East Nigeria, and the Lake Chad Basin Region.
“This appointment of a Special Envoy by the President is also in consonance with the resolution of the Extraordinary Summit of Heads of State and Government of the Lake Chad Basin Commission Member Countries, on the situation in Chad on the 25th of May 2021.
“President Buhari has by this appointment demonstrated the determination of Nigeria to lead regional security efforts that will stabilise the Lake Chad Basin Region, bring peace to Chad, and ultimately eliminate the Boko Haram Insurgency in the North-East zone of Nigeria.
“This is also a fulfilment of the President’s promise to General Mahamat Deby Itno, the President of the Transitional Military Council of Chad, to support a seamless progress towards a return to democratic rule when he visited Nigeria in May 2021.”
- 13 parties vow to withdraw from election if new naira deadline extends
- UNILORIN VC seeks upgrade of molecular lab to public health lab
- Naira, Fuel, scarcity take shine off 44th Kaduna International Trade Fair
- I paid ₦1,000 for litre– Oshiomhole laments fuel scarcity, price
- Tems wins Grammy award
- Kwara South Group Drums Support For ADC Reps candidate, Gbenga Power
- Kwara Governor Mourns As Ex-Women Affairs Commissioner Dies In Auto-Crash
- Naira Redesign: How CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele deceived Buhari— Oshiomhole
- Emir of Ilorin salutes Gov. Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq at 63
- Entrepreneurs count losses over scarcity of new Naira notes