The Director-General of the agency, Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye, gave the go ahead for the use of the vaccine at a news conference in Abuja.
She said that the NAFDAC Vaccine Committee commenced expedited review immediately the agency received the Oxford AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine dossier from Serum Institute of India on Feb. 10.
She explained that members of the committee worked assiduously to review the vaccine as planned,
noting that the recommendation for the emergency use authorisation was based on rigorous scientific consideration.
The NAFDAC boss noted that “the vaccine can be stored at two to eight-degree centigrade temperature.
“The active substance is manufactured and controlled by Serum Institute of India Private Limited (SIIPL). A GMP certificate and
manufacturing licence issued by the India National Regulatory Authority (NRA) has been presented and found to be authentic and valid.
“The multidose (2 dose or 10 dose) vial is stored at 2 to 8 degree centigrade, one dose (0.5Ml) contains 5 x10) virus particle. On availability
stability, the applicant has proposed a drug product shelf life of six months.
“On vaccine safety from the phases two and three conducted, COVISHIELD was found safe and well-tolerated in adults above 18 years of age.”
Adeyeye said that the focus was to use holistic approach for effective immunisation, including delivery of the vaccines and monitoring of any adverse
She added that the multi-stakeholders technical working group had been meeting to address different issues, noting that the agency would use
its recently launched Med Safety App for Active Pharmacovigilance of the vaccine.
The director general, who added that NAFDAC would collaborate with sister agencies on the task ahead, explained that “the App is free and can
be downloaded by healthcare workers to monitor Adverse Drug Reaction (ADR).”
She said three additional vaccines were currently undergoing evaluation, “but the evaluation on AstraZeneca shows that the vaccine is effective
against the UK variant of the virus, which has been reported in Nigeria.”
According to her, the South African variant has not been reported in Nigeria and that the agency has over 30 herbal medicines undergoing review for listing.
“The Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine, also known as ChAdOx1 nCoV-`9, or AZD1222, is a viral vector vaccine. Scientists used an adenovirus, originally derived
from chimpanzees, and modified it with the aim of training the immune system to mount a strong response against SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19).
“Nigeria is expected to get the first batch of the COVID-19 vaccines by the end of February.
Contact: [email protected]
- Meghan Markle’s Suits on-screen husband, Patrick Adams, blasts royal family and the British media as he defends the Duchess of Sussex
- See how your favourite celebs showed up for the premiere of the ‘Coming 2 America’ in Lagos (photos)
- Cross dresser, James Brown reacts to Jaruma’s claim that cross dressers are the cause of high divorce rate in Nigeria
- “I only prayed for a simple, easygoing, good character wife and God gave me Mallama” – Sokoto varsity student says as he sets to wed
- I tested positive for COVID-19 – Obasanjo
- Buhari and Osinbajo receive COVID19 vaccine jabs (photos/Video)
- 371 new cases of COVID-19 recorded in Nigeria
- WAEC/NECO Clearance: Kwara private schools owners cry out over tax exploitation
- Kwara former Gov, Ahmed Welcomes Baby boy with Wife
- Man City vs Man Utd: We are not suffering a crisis of confidence – Solskjaer
- Politics2 years ago
Breaking…Kwara assembly suspends 16 LGs chairmen
- News1 year ago
Army approves cigarettes allowance, N20,000 salary increment for soldiers
- Metro11 months ago
BREAKING…. Kwara govt announces total lockdown in Offa
- Education1 year ago
UNILORIN education faculty emerges best in Nigeria
- Politics1 year ago
Gbemi Saraki finally breaks silence, changes political slogan
- Politics1 year ago
Breaking… Kwara governor appoints Yinka Aluko S A Special Duties
- News2 years ago
Sokoto assembly confirms Gov Tambuwal’s 26 comissioner nominees
- Politics2 years ago
Breaking…GOV. ABDULRAZAQ APPOINTS COMMITTEE ON REVIEW OF SALES OF GOVT PROPERTY (See full names)