Following the ongoing global health crises of Covid-19, the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) has directed electricity distribution companies (DisCos) in the country to suspend the proposed tariff increase.
NERC in a memo on Tuesday said the adverse effects of the coronavirus has affected global economy and Nigerians are also bearing the brunt.
“The orders of the commission (order no NERC/ GL/184/2019 to NERC/ GL/184/2019) titled ‘The December 2019 minor review of multi-year tariff order (MYTO) 2015 and minimum remittance order for the year 2020’ shall remain in force until June 30, 2020 when a new minor review order shall be issued by the commission,” the memo read.
“There shall be no increase in tariffs of end-use customers on April 1, 2020.
“The current global COVID-19 pandemic has significantly impacted on the availability of imported components for local assembly of metres for supply to end-use customers under the metre asset provider (MAP) regulations and the roll out plan for the existing stock.
“The commission acknowledges the adverse effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on global economy and the consequential impact on the average Nigerian.
“All future tariff reviews shall be on the basis of consultations between the DisCo and customer clusters with firm commitments on rates and quality of service. The service level compact shall include a compensation mechanism for end-use customers to address the DisCo’s failure events to deliver on performance targets.”
- Court fines PRP’s presidential candidate, Kola Abiola, for late documents filing
- Two FRSC officers crushed to death by truck in Akwa Ibom
- World cup: Host country Qatar eliminated
- How pastors treWe both wept when Sammie Okposo told me how pastors treated him – Apostle Suleman
- My presidential ambition is for Nigeria’s future– Peter Obi
- PDP reschedules campaign flag off in Nasarawa over police permit
- UniAbuja ASUU protest unpaid salaries
- Unilorin V-C extols Prof. Gambari’s virtues @ 78
- EFCC secures 3,328 convictions in 11 months – Chairman
- Buhari condoles with family of Gospel Musician, Sammie Okposo