The Ebonyi State Government has offered amnesty to ghost workers discovered during a series of verification exercise in the state.
The government also offered the ghost workers, the opportunity to refund the money they illegally collected as salaries
The offer which was contained in a statement signed by Mr Emmanuel Uzor, Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, on Saturday further said that the amnesty period would last from August 30 to September 10.
“We are giving the amnesty to all ghost workers within the stipulated period to surrender and negotiate the repayment of all illegally collected funds to the state and Local Government Areas (LGAs),” the statement said.
It said that those who embraced the offer would not face prosecution but those who declined the amnesty opportunities would face the law and all monies they took from the government would be recovered from them.
“The state government is happy to announce that it has made significant progress as the verification has saved it and the LGAs about N60 million in one month.
“This exercise will be regular until all ghost workers or workers who benefit from illegal, multiple payments are flushed out, to ensure more employment opportunities for our brothers and sisters.
“We have procured the services of financial institutions with bias in Information Communication Technology to deploy Bank Verification Number in tracking and prosecuting ghost workers,” the statement said.
According to the statement, the governor has directed the relevant authorities to ensure immediate payment of all workers’ salaries, pension and other entitlements for August.
“They should use the approved verification documents authored by the state Head of Service,” it said.
The statement attributed the delay in payment of the August salaries by the 15th of the month to the verification exercise aimed at exposing ghost workers especially among teachers and other categories of workers.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide
- Senate hints on Electoral Offences Bill for 2023 elections