Justice Adenike Akinpelu of the Kwara State High Court, sitting in Ilorin on Tuesday, October 12, 2021 sentenced one Salami Yusuf Adetola, who claimed to be a United States of America Lottery Agent to a term of six months imprisonment over offences bordering on personation and cybercrime.
Adetola was sentenced alongside one AbdulKareem Abdulmojeed Olamilekan, a graphic designer from Ifelodun Local Government Area of Kwara State and one Nwabudike Emmanuel Lawrence from Ethiope-East Local Government Area of Delta State over similar offence.
The Ilorin Zonal Command of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, on Tuesday, October 13, 2021 arraigned the now convicted three persons on separate charges, to which they pleaded guilty.
Following the guilty plea by the defendants, R. A Alao, counsel to the EFCC, called witnesses who are operatives of the Commission and tendered evidences which included the device used in perpetrating the crime and various fraudulent messages printed out of the defendants’ phones and laptops, to establish the alleged offences against them. After the review of the facts of the cases, Alao urged the court to convict and sentence the defendants as charged.
In her judgment, Justice Akinpelu held that the prosecution had proved its cases beyond reasonable doubt.
While Adetola was sentenced to six months imprisonment with N200,000 (Two Hundred Thousand Naira) as option of fine, Olamilekan was sentenced to one year imprisonment with N300,000 (Three Hundred Thousand Naira) as option of fine.
On the other hand, Lawrence bagged a prison term of six months on each of the two counts against him, which shall run concurrently with option of fine of N200,000 (Two Hundred Thousand Naira Only) on each count.
- Why I stripped naked to pray for Tinubu’ victory– Olaiya Igwe
- Labour Party suspends Arabambi over anti-party activities
- Asake apologizes for appearance at Birmingham shpw
- How I became Radio Presenter, Event Entertainer — Omo Culture
- Gov. Sanni Bello’s Spokesperson, Noel-Berje bags Media Personality Award
- Bandits tackles FG, military of ‘benefitting from insecurity’
- FG lost N113m over Abuja-Kaduna railway closure – NRC
- Aisha Buhari withdraws case against critic Aminu Mohammed
- INEC announces dates for PVCs collection
- Ronaldo denies reports he swore at Portugal coach over substitution