The Minister of Interior Affairs, Rauf Aregbesola, says the Federal government is willing to grant amnesty to inmates who voluntarily return to prison after they were released during the attack on the Imo state correctional Center on Monday, April 5.
Aregbesola gave the assurance while inspecting the attacked centre today Tuesday, April 6.
The minister said the federal government will leave no stone unturned to fish out perpetrators of what he described as a “dastardly act”.
“Unlawful escape from custody is a crime but government in its magnanimity will grant amnesty to prisoners who willfully return. They will no longer be charged with unlawful escape but only for the initial crimes that took them to prison. So we urge all escapees to return before they are caught on the run.”the Minister said.
1, 844 of the inmates are currently on the run.
- Hypertension, Diabetes, Cancers, Others Responsible for 22% of Premature Deaths—WHO
- Breaking…… Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Croatia knocks out ‘confident’ Brazil from Qatar 2022 Fifa World Cup
- Cashless Policy: CBN meets Senate panel on cash withdrawal limit
- Labour Party sacks publicity secretary, Ogun chapter excos
- NUJ recognises Osoba, Dokpesi, others as icons in media industry
- Newly redesigned Naira now in banks, ready for issuance – Emefiele
- FG develops renewable energy policy to add 30,000MW of electricity
- Buhari congratulates ex-Minister of Defence, Theophilus Danjuma at 85
- Buhari celebrates renowned scholar, Prof. Umaru Shehu at 92