As the tension continued to mount in the middle east over the crisis between the US and Iranian governments, footballers are set to flee the region to avoid fallong victim.
At the moment, Ajax and United States defender Sergino Dest is leaving the Amsterdam club’s winter training camp in Qatar, the club announced on Thursday.
Ajax said Dest asked to leave the camp because “he did not feel comfortable.”
The club said it “understood the request and honored it.” He will continue training with the club’s juniors in Amsterdam.
Ajax is in Qatar – the 2022 World Cup host – for training and two friendlies during the Dutch league winter break.
Dest’s request to leave came a day after Iran launched missile attacks on two military bases in Iraq that house U.S. troops.
The missiles were a retaliation following an American drone strike that killed Qassem Soleimani, the leader of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard’s powerful Quds Force.
Dest, who has a Surinamese-American father and Dutch mother, decided last year to play for the United States instead of the Netherlands.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Senate suspends report on vacation of citizen’s watchlist by DSS
- Senate directs NLNG to pay host communities N18.4bn compensation
- Buhari to presents 2023 budget to NASS Oct. 7
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities
- Scandal rocks CCB as commissioners accuse chairman of corruption
- Atala Oil Field: NUPRC under fire in Senate over wrongful re-allocation
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank