As the tension continued to mount in the middle east over the crisis between the US and Iranian governments, footballers are set to flee the region to avoid fallong victim.
At the moment, Ajax and United States defender Sergino Dest is leaving the Amsterdam club’s winter training camp in Qatar, the club announced on Thursday.
Ajax said Dest asked to leave the camp because “he did not feel comfortable.”
The club said it “understood the request and honored it.” He will continue training with the club’s juniors in Amsterdam.
Ajax is in Qatar – the 2022 World Cup host – for training and two friendlies during the Dutch league winter break.
Dest’s request to leave came a day after Iran launched missile attacks on two military bases in Iraq that house U.S. troops.
The missiles were a retaliation following an American drone strike that killed Qassem Soleimani, the leader of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard’s powerful Quds Force.
Dest, who has a Surinamese-American father and Dutch mother, decided last year to play for the United States instead of the Netherlands.
- Gbenga Power rejoices with Nigerians on 63rd Independence celebrations
- CJN to inaugurate 23 Federal High Court Judges Oct 4.
- US Court Orders Release of Tinubu’s Academic Records in 48 hrs
- Kwara Proposes N239bn Revised Budget To Assembly
- Gamji Association Tasks Youths To Emulate Virtues Of Founding Fathers
- Fagbemi dissociates FG from N50bn plea bargain with Emefiele
- Nigeria @63: Peaceful co-existence is germane for nat’l growth— Emir Sulu-Gambari
- Nigeria @63: Tinubu approves new minimum wage for FG workers
- (PHOTOS) Three Internet Fraudsters Bag Jail Terms In Benin
- Opinion: Celebrating a quintessential ex-Defence Minister, Gen. BS Magashi @ 74