Fuel, naira crisis: Lagos commences distribution of palliatives
The Lagos State Government says it has started the distribution of palliatives to residents of the state to douse the effects of fuel and new naira notes scarcity.
Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu had last week promised to provide palliative measures to cushion the effects of the hardship being experienced by Lagosians due to a lack of currency from the banks.
Speaking at the launch of the distribution exercise, Sanwo-Olu, who was represented the deputy governor, Dr Obafemi Hamzat, gave out palliatives to the teeming recipients on Tuesday at the Adeyemi Bero Auditorium, Alausa Secretariat in Ikeja.
He said the distribution would be continuous as the government would be reaching out to religious centres, NGOs, and other distribution channels across the state.
The governor explained that the measures became necessary to improve the situation among the vulnerable residents of the state.
He said, “We are doing this to alleviate the pains and sufferings of Lagosians. What’s inside the boxes are various items for the vulnerable society’s consumption.”
Earlier, Commissioner for Women’s Affairs and Poverty Alleviation, Mrs Cecilia Dada stated that the state had put together a palliative measure for Lagosians by distributing food to the most vulnerable in society.
Dada stressed that the state government is mindful of the welfare of its people and that the challenges faced by citizens are due to the naira swap and difficulty accessing money.
Meanwhile, Kwara State Governor, Abdulraman Abdulrazaq also kickstarted free transportation for students and workers in Ilorin as a palliative measure to cushion effect of the prevailing crisis.
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- Supreme Court opens up on CJN trip, meeting Tinubu
- Buhari never said he wouldn’t hand over to Tinubu– Presidency
- Okowa congratulates Adeleke on Appeal Court victory
- Ekweremadu, wife to be sentenced on May 5
- CBN confirms evacuation of banknotes, directs banks to open for weekend operations
- CBN begins monitoring of old notes circulation:
- Ademola Adeleke is the duly elected governor of Osun— Appeal Court
- BREAKING…Appeal court reinstates Adeleke as Osun governor
- Kwara Gov sympathises with residents over rainstorm, flooding incidents
- ICPC arraigns ex-JAMB’s Ojerinde, 4 children over alleged fraud