A Professor of Plant Anatomy and Taxonomy in the University of Ilorin, Abdullahi Alanamu AbdulRahman, has warned against the looming famine across the globe as a result of war in Gaza.
The varsity don, who featured on a Midland FM 99.1 FM News and Current Affairs Programme “Matters Arising”, monitored in Ilorin, said the ongoing conflict in Gaza between Palestine and Israel has affected plants and waters and destroyed forests.
Frowning at the posture of the United Nations and World powers to the wars around the globe, Professor Alanamu cautioned that it would take decades to wipe out pollutants released to the environment through atomic chemicals.
Professor Alanamu called for harmonious living among the people around the globe.
He described the ongoing wars as pandemic to the world peace like Covid-19 and Ebola whose aftermath would result to health challenges to human beings and the environment as wildlife is also affected.
Speaking on how manufacturing firms pollute the environment, Professor Alanamu sought faithful implementation of environmental laws to minimize impact of pollution from manufacturers.
The don, however, called on the government to encourage tree planting in various communities to avert desertification.
He stressed the need to embark on afforestation programme like the Green Reyahd project in Saudi Arabia.
Professor Alanamu also tasked government to subsidize or make the use of kerosene free to discourage people from using charcoal and firewood.
He preached sincerity of purpose among security agencies in performing their duties just as he admonished the people to be security conscious and report any strange movement in their environments to appropriate authorities.
The Don therefore charged President Bola Ahmed Tinubu-led government to resuscitate the nation’s refineries with a view to reducing the lingering hardship in the country.
- Private sector impressed as Gov AbdulRazaq declares open 10th Kwara Trade Fair
- Emefiele’s Naira redesign ran farmers bankrupt – FG
- Let’s use media to fight drug, internet fraud- Akogun
- UNILORIN Don canvasses creation of National Examination Malpractices Board
- UNILORIN emerges 9th in global ranking for Int’l students
- Kwara garment factory will be largest in West Africa at full capacity–MD
- WRITERS MOURN DEATH OF VETERAN POET, ỌLÁŃREWAJÚ ADÉPOJÙ
- Powerful Nigerian poet and author, Olarewaju Adepoju dies at 83
- Veteran NTA news caster, Aisha Bello Mustapha is dead
- Kwara Gov directs distribution of 20,000 50kg bags of maize*