U.S. President Donald Trump said he would leave the White House if the Electoral College declared Joe Biden the election winner.
He said he was not prepared to concede defeat and repeated false claims that he won.
The president said that he would “certainly” leave the White House if the Electoral College voted for Biden, telling reporters on a press call “you know that.”
But he also repeated claims of “massive fraud” in the election, without providing supporting evidence, and said an Electoral College appointment of Biden would be a “mistake.”
“I know one thing, Joe Biden didn’t get 80 million votes,” Trump said, according to reporters who dialled in.
“It’s going to be a very hard thing to concede,” Trump said when asked what he will do if the Electoral College elects his Democratic opponent.
According to forecasts by the U.S. media, Biden has secured 306 electoral college votes, significantly more than the majority of 270 votes necessary to win.
Each state must officially certify their vote tallies before deadlines in early December.
The Electoral College vote and the ultimate declaration of the winner by Congress on Jan. 6 are usually symbolic events, but since Trump has declined to concede, they may take on more significance this time.
In the national popular vote count – a metric to gauge popularity but with no legal meaning – Biden leads Trump, with about 80 million votes to some 73.9 for the incumbent.
Trump is pursuing numerous court cases to try to stop Biden from being declared the winner.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Breaking…. Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Bill demanding to Legalize Power Rotation stepped down in Senate
- Senate Moves to Whittle Down Powers of CBN Governor
- National Assembly’s Clerk, Amos Ojo solicits support for security agencies
- 2022 Olojo: Ooni assures of restoration of Nigeria’s lost glory
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign